Kaplan Full Length 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daichi Katase

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how you guys progressed from the diagnostic to the first fulllength.

Diagnostic:
10PS 8BS 8VR 26 total

FL1:
11PS 11BS 8VR 30 total

I was kinda bummed about VR because that is what i spent most of my time on. The physical sciences test was quite difficult and i also made a lot of stupid mistakes.

Members don't see this ad.

I take my first Kaplan FL on Saturday. I'm anxious to see how I do.

At our center, there was some kind of communication problem and so the proctor wasn't provided with the scantrons. We bubbled in only the bio section of the exam after someone brought them later. This means, someone's scoring it manually and it's going to take a couple more days. Also, did anyone else think the verbal section was a little too long? Or maybe it was just me enjoying the jazz passage a little too much.

Oh yea, the muzak passage was kinda funny too.

I hated the PS section. Even though that is supposed to be my strongest section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you describe how much work you have done since the diag for the mcat dectetive... i am bit curious as to how i ll do now. I scored 24 on the first diag and will be taking FL1 soon.
Thanks

I went through all the review material for PS, did a few practice verbal things, did minimal studying for bio, was up to date on the topicals and didn't sleep the night before. I don't reccomend the last part. goodluck!

My diagnostic

24 B8 V10 P6

First practice

26 B9 V9 P8

Someone please assure me that I can pull a 30 on this thing. Two points seem like nothing considering the amount of studying I've been doing. Oh dear. Must remain optimistic though. :luck:

I wouldn't worry about your first FL score b/c one of the Kaplan teachers at my center said that the usual trend with students for the 1st FL is actually DOWN from the diagnostic, but then goes way up for the next FL b/c 1. we havent learned all the materials yet and 2. we're still getting used to the Kaplan strategies

Just curious to see if the FL was accurate in terms of difficulty.

DetectiveChubby said:
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how you guys progressed from the diagnostic to the first fulllength.

Diagnostic:
10PS 8BS 8VR 26 total

FL1:
11PS 11BS 8VR 30 total

I was kinda bummed about VR because that is what i spent most of my time on. The physical sciences test was quite difficult and i also made a lot of stupid mistakes.

You're doing great. At this clip, you'll be set for the MCAT. Keep it up! As for improving VR, really try and use the Kaplan techniques. It takes a while for those techniques to be honed and perfected. They will eventually be reflected in your scores. The online VR exercises are really useful. Plug through them and review as necessary. Oh yeah, keep reading the passage types that give you trouble (e.g., if humanities passages are tough, start reading and marking humanities articles in the library)

I took my first Kaplan full length and am somewhat dissapointed in the results. I only went up two points, which is secondary to the score breakdown.

Diagnostic
PS 6 V 7 BS 9

Full Length 1
PS 7 V 10 BS 7

I am pleased with my verbal score, but I returned from the lunch break with an awful headache and got crushed by the biological science. I could not concentrate on the final section and could not bring myself to read about the last 5 passages. The physical science is an uphill battle for me I have studied all the material and need alot more practice to do well.

StartingLine3 said:
I took my first Kaplan full length and am somewhat dissapointed in the results. I only went up two points, which is secondary to the score breakdown.

Diagnostic
PS 6 V 7 BS 9

Full Length 1
PS 7 V 10 BS 7

I am pleased with my verbal score, but I returned from the lunch break with an awful headache and got crushed by the biological science. I could not concentrate on the final section and could not bring myself to read about the last 5 passages. The physical science is an uphill battle for me I have studied all the material and need alot more practice to do well.

First things first. Train your body up for the MCAT. You can't afford to be getting headaches in the middle of the test. Figure out what caused the headache and don't do it again. Make sure as heck that you are comfortable during the entire test period. While distractions are inevitable, idealize the test conditions so you can cope.:luck:

The headache was recieved from eating Burger King for lunch, I never ever eat fast food. Went to lunch with a large group of people from my Kaplan course and no one wanted a light lunch.

I went up 5 points from my diagnostic. I'm really pleased because I've been out of school for a long time, so the information isn't exactly fresh in my mind. I've found though, that for everything except physics, I've only had to do minor review to get things fresh in my mind. I'm feeling really confident about April 16!

Members don't see this ad :)
comparing FL to the real deal-
it totally depends on the exam you get, which sucks. the first time i took the MCAT, the real PS section was *WAY* easier than what kaplan gives you and the BS section was *WAY* harder.
the second time i took it the PS section was about the same or even harder than kaplan's, which really bummed me out but kaplan helped a lot. i don't think i would have done as well as i did if i didn't get the PS boot-camp they give you at kaplan.
as for the bio the second time around, it was also about the same (slightly harder) than what kaplan gives. kaplan is really easy with bio, i would suggest getting some other prep-material for bio and verbal (read read read!!).

in terms of scoring on FL and on the real deal, it was a pretty good prediction for me (both times i took it). i totally suggest doing ALL the FL and not just the ones they schedual for you. the ones you take right before the real MCAT will be the best prediciton of your score.

Diag: 21

P: 7, V: 6, B: 8

FL: 28

P: 9, V: 8, B: 11

Anyone else think that the scoring on the PS section was WAY too easy? I think I got less than half the questions right but still got a 9. I'm a little skeptical about that. Also, anyone else think that the FL was quite a bit more straight forward and less convoluted than the diagnostic? This is why its very encouraging to hear you others say that the FL is similiar in difficulty to the real deal. That diagnostic hurt my brain! I realize now that it's really difficult to score well in verbal. You miss just 5 or something and you're already down to like a 12, not like that's bad or anything, but...

Still got a LOTTA work to do.

I took the real deal 4x so I can say that I know the darn test pretty well. My advice to you Kaplan students is to take those FL#7-11. In my opinion, those are the closest to the real deal. Kaplan Physical Science gets a lot harder starting FL#3. The real verbal resembles the verbal in FL#7-11 more than the verbal in FL#1-5. The BIO section is about the same for all Kaplan FL (maybe a little harder after #6, but not much). The real BIO is very similar to the Kaplan FL BIO.

MOST students' scores level off after FL#3, assuming you've been studying since winter break. I averaged 8/9 on verbal, 11/12 on physical, 12/13 on bio on my Kaplan FL. My score on the real deal was 9v/12p/12b

I was happy with the jump in my score.

Diag.
17 7P 4V 6B

FL1.
27 10P 7V 10B

NNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

sdnstud said:
I took the real deal 4x so I can say that I know the darn test pretty well. My advice to you Kaplan students is to take those FL#7-11. In my opinion, those are the closest to the real deal. Kaplan Physical Science gets a lot harder starting FL#3. The real verbal resembles the verbal in FL#7-11 more than the verbal in FL#1-5. The BIO section is about the same for all Kaplan FL (maybe a little harder after #6, but not much). The real BIO is very similar to the Kaplan FL BIO.

MOST students' scores level off after FL#3, assuming you've been studying since winter break. I averaged 8/9 on verbal, 11/12 on physical, 12/13 on bio on my Kaplan FL. My score on the real deal was 9v/12p/12b

What I found was that the curve get progressively tougher after FL#5. Presumably, this is because only the extra studious students bother to take them. If you have the time to get around to FL#8-11, the curve is insane. Take it with a grain of salt and then move on to the AAMC's to regain your confidence :)

Diagnostic - PS 6 BS 8 VR 11 (25)

FL1 - PS 8 BS 9 VR 10 (27)

I was happy to have done better in the BS/PS, not sure why the VR went down...probably test fatigue, oh well. Muzak passage was interesting.

But I too any suspicious of the PS score - there's no way I did "8" work on the PS...seems like the scoring scale was extra easy.

Diag.
24 P 7 V 9 B 8

FL 1
28 P10 V 7 B 11

In verbal I got 44 right which about how many I normally get right, but that curve was tough!!!

Time to break out the EK book!!

palminator2003 said:
What I found was that the curve get progressively tougher after FL#5. Presumably, this is because only the extra studious students bother to take them. If you have the time to get around to FL#8-11, the curve is insane. Take it with a grain of salt and then move on to the AAMC's to regain your confidence :)

Full Length 6-11 (kaplan) are harder than kaplan FL 1-5? ????

Adonis4.0 said:
I was happy with the jump in my score.

Diag.
17 7P 4V 6B

FL1.
27 10P 7V 10B

NNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, nice jump man!! :thumbup:

Can you fill us in on how you have been preparing since your Diagnostic??

I hope that I can pull this MCAT up to 30.

Diagnostic 18 6PS 5VR 7BIO :eek:

FFL 20 7PS 7VR 6BIO :mad:

this is a little of the topic, does anyone know the score table for the Kaplan 11r full length? i just finished the Verbal part(me and my friend got 55 and 52 right,), shoud i just look at the score table in the comprehensive review book?

I just got the results of my first FL Kaplan...

V 8
P 8
B 7

Im a little worried at this point as i was hoping for a higher score..but also kind of encouraged, considering that my diagnostic was

V 3
P 4
B 4

I am not finished with the review yet (a little more than half way), and the stuff about acid/base rxns, voltaic cells and all that hasnt been reviewed yet. In addition, I have been doing alot of review and not alot of practice problems, so I am hoping i can keep pulling this score up to a 32+ on the real thing.

Pease , Dose any one have a score conversion scale for Kaplan 10/11R

Diag: 18 V:5 P:5 B:8

FL1: 22 V:5 P:9 B:8
FL2: 24 V:7 P:9 B:8
FL3: 27?
FL4: 29?
FL5: 30?

Real thing.... 45T :thumbup:

place said:
Diag: 18 V:5 P:5 B:8

FL1: 22 V:5 P:9 B:8
FL2: 24 V:7 P:9 B:8
FL3: 27?
FL4: 29?
FL5: 30?

Real thing.... 45T :thumbup:
FL1
11P, 11B, 9V

Do you know why they do curve this strangely? I got 50 right in Verbal and it is already 9. Do you guys think the curve is realistic? Di you think it was too easy?