Kaplan Full Length Practice Test Scores vs. OAT Scores

Ace_Ventura

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Forgive me for my ignorance as I am new to the forums. However, though I saw a few threads that danced around this subject I would like to have some hard data from those who took the Kaplan OAT prep course.

My main benchmark for my improvement/preparedness has been my scores on the Kaplan OAT Full Length tests. Many threads have eluded to the fact that these tests are harder than the real thing but they may grade a little more leniently. Does anyone know how they set the curve? I have been told that the curve for the real thing is reset every year by aggregating data from all those who took it. Is that true? If so, does Kaplan set their curve by other students who have taken their practice tests?

I do not want to take the real thing until I have at least gotten a score higher than my desired score, and after every full length I go through every question and explanation at nauseam until I have mastered not only the answer but the concept behind it. When I'm though, I proceed to the next practice full length. This seems to be the best and most motivating way for me to study. Has anyone used a similar approach?

So can you guys help me out by posting a couple of scores you got from the Kaplan full lengths and your scores you got from the real thing?

Sorry this is kind of long, but I really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I saw something from Kaplan a long time ago that showed that the OAT standard score is based on a bell curve with 300 as the average (50th percentile). I don't think the curve is set every year. A few years ago (2010, 2011 maybe?) they made some changes as to how the OAT was scored, and I think all that meant was they reset the bell curve because the average had moved up from previous years. The Kaplan test itself is harder as you have less time to complete the problems, but it seemed like a decent predictor of how I would actually do on the test.

I used a similar approach to you as I was studying the OAT. Take a lot of practice tests mimicking testing conditions as closely as you can. I attached an Excel spreadsheet with all of my practice test scores and actual OAT score listed in chronological order. You'll notice that my OAT math score is lower than some of the practice tests. I kind of freaked out a bit and relied too much on the computer's calculator (don't make that mistake, avoid using the calculator if you can and approximate), but I'm OK with my 310 in that section.

If you can't open the .xlsx file let me know and I'll just type out my scores. I was just feeling lazy.

Attachments

• OAT Scores.xlsx
    9.7 KB · Views: 269