Kaplan High Yield Problem Solving Guide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsr52

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use the high yield kap guide in their prep?

Members don't see this ad.

I have it and tried to do some of those problems but they seem so difficult.. I guess if you have extra time theres no harm in going over that book

I used it a little, but I didn't really find it "high yield." Actually doing practice problems was much more helpful than just reading solved problems (which is basically all the book is). It did help if there were a specific type of problem I had real trouble with like acid/base, pH, or pulley systems. I could look at their solved problems like a road map and use that for doing actual problems. Besides that, it wasn't incredibly important to my studying.

It's good only in the sense of if you're travelling somewhere without an internet connection, and have already memorized the physical, biological, and verbal (which I found to be the most helpful book, go figure) books.

So yeah, I found it useless.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha..during the 2 months i took the kaplan course, I completely forgot that I even had that little book. I looked over it once, and i realized why I had decided to forget about it.

There is some good stuff in there... I'd look through it, but only after identifying the types of problems you struggle with... So after you have taken enough practice tests to narrow down what questions you struggle with look it up in the book, I think it will help!

Do NOT however just start at the beginning and read it, there are better uses for your time.

The physics section of this book is ridiculous...way too hard compared to the mcat.
the biology section was quite helpful, because it was more realistic in difficulty- but, the questions they give you on the mcat is actually quite different than the ones they give you on this book...
that reminds me..i really should stop going over this book now... and actually study...

I dunno, it actually seems like it might be pretty helpful. I mean, you can memorize all the review notes, but that doesn't necessarily get you the ability to answer all the questions. Assuming the problems solving guide really does contain all the high-yield problems, then at least we'd know how to solve those for sure, which would be a real edge up on the MCAT (especially in the discretes). But that's assuming these problems truly are high-yield. Has anyone verified this?

With all the other material to get through for kaplan, I had no time to look over that book in very much detail. As has already been said, if you need help on a specific topic, then maybe use it after everything. I think your time would really be better spent on practice tests or something, instead of learning material in excessive detail. My experience on the actual MCAT is that you need a very broad but superficial understanding of the topics.

There are some good books out there, this is not one of them.

They're good questions that will give you an understanding of basic concepts and how topics can be integrated with eachother.

However, the questions are a totally different format than the MCAT, and I wouldn't consider them very helpful. They were however, very similar to the types of questions I would see on my exams in college, so a good review to dust off material I hadn't seen in a while.