Kaplan Live online classes????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med_Frenzy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I got my MCAT score back and it was only a 498 (I was scoring 504-505 on practice tests), not sure what happened there. This is the second time I have taken the MCAT (the first time I got a 495). I spent 10 years in the Army before attending school and have a wife and 2 kids. I commute to school and have a decently busy schedule. So, I think I need sometype of structured schedule to keep my on track. I am looking at the Kaplan live online prep class that meets on Mondays from 5:30-8:30pm for 12 weeks from March 5th - May 21st. Then I could retake the MCAT May 23rd and still apply decently on time..... Any help here would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone has go their own opinion on Kaplan and other similar courses but I'll just give you my anecdote.

My GF was making 496-498 on practice tests and she informally went through the kaplan online 12 week course and came out with an official score of 506 (good enough for her to get accepted). Not the greatest score but she really winged the course (hence the "informally") and didn't keep up with a lot of the homework they give you, etc. I was making 502-504 on practice exams and then watched a few of the online classes with her and improved my score to 80%tile. They gave me some good test taking advice and really hammer home HOW to take the test by giving you techniques and by making sure you really understand the test. Anyway, my anecdotes but it worked for me and my GF.

That being said. If you do the online classes make sure to follow the homework and do everything they tell you and you should be fine. Put really effort into the course and it will pay off (I know a couple other people who have taken it and had good luck with it as well).

Goodluck!

Side note: Getting my DD214 from the Army in April! Finally

Everyone has go their own opinion on Kaplan and other similar courses but I'll just give you my anecdote.

My GF was making 496-498 on practice tests and she informally went through the kaplan online 12 week course and came out with an official score of 506 (good enough for her to get accepted). Not the greatest score but she really winged the course (hence the "informally") and didn't keep up with a lot of the homework they give you, etc. I was making 502-504 on practice exams and then watched a few of the online classes with her and improved my score to 80%tile. They gave me some good test taking advice and really hammer home HOW to take the test by giving you techniques and by making sure you really understand the test. Anyway, my anecdotes but it worked for me and my GF.

That being said. If you do the online classes make sure to follow the homework and do everything they tell you and you should be fine. Put really effort into the course and it will pay off (I know a couple other people who have taken it and had good luck with it as well).

Goodluck!

Side note: Getting my DD214 from the Army in April! Finally
Ok thanks, I appreciate the detailed reply...Ill be sure at take it as seriously as I can...this will be my third time taking the MCAT, so I really only have one option...either show vast improvement, or find a new dream ha ha ha. Thank you for your service. Enjoy Medical school and civilian life!

Wife, two kids and two MCAT scores below 500. How old are you OP? And did you ever find out what your weakness was? The course alone wont help if you dont know what killed you this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wife, two kids and two MCAT scores below 500. How old are you OP? And did you ever find out what your weakness was? The course alone wont help if you dont know what killed you this time.

I'm 31 years old. I think I just don't do a thorough job studying on my own. I get overwhelmed with the amount of material and bounce around from subject to subject and don't absorb that much information. I think it would help if I had a class to break everything down into sections for me, provide strategy, and that kind of thing. My practice test scores were quite a bit higher than my actual test score both times and I don't really get test anxiety, so i'm not sure where the problem lies. I didn't get great grades In college, but I was able to grasp concepts in Organic chemistry, biochem, micro, genetics, cell bio etc. and able to get A's or B's, so I really don't know why I have such a problem with this test. Im still in school taking 16 hours, commuting, and all the other pleasures of life.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 31 years old. I think I just don't do a thorough job studying on my own. I get overwhelmed with the amount of material and bounce around from subject to subject and don't absorb that much information. I think it would help if I had a class to break everything down into sections for me, provide strategy, and that kind of thing. My practice test scores were quite a bit higher than my actual test score both times and I don't really get test anxiety, so i'm not sure where the problem lies. I didn't get great grades In college, but I was able to grasp concepts in Organic chemistry, biochem, micro, genetics, cell bio etc. and able to get A's or B's, so I really don't know why I have such a problem with this test. Im still in school taking 16 hours, commuting, and all the other pleasures of life.
Maybe @Goro and @gyngyn can help.

Hello, I got my MCAT score back and it was only a 498 (I was scoring 504-505 on practice tests), not sure what happened there. This is the second time I have taken the MCAT (the first time I got a 495). I spent 10 years in the Army before attending school and have a wife and 2 kids. I commute to school and have a decently busy schedule. So, I think I need sometype of structured schedule to keep my on track. I am looking at the Kaplan live online prep class that meets on Mondays from 5:30-8:30pm for 12 weeks from March 5th - May 21st. Then I could retake the MCAT May 23rd and still apply decently on time..... Any help here would be appreciated.
I can't advise on MCAT prep. Not my area of expertise.

If you have test taking anxiety issues, best to get those fixed before retaking.

Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are 100% ready and your diagnostics are much better

Many thanks for your service to our country. Hoooahh!

I had similar studying issues to those you're describing OP. I was overwhelmed by the amount of material I needed to prep and had trouble sticking with one subject same as you. I took Kaplan live online and loved it! I'm someone who needs structure, and the course provided it for me. You have to put a TON of work in to get through the homework etc...but it's worth it. That's not to say there aren't other equally effective ways to go about structuring your study time, but it worked for me! Just my two cents, everyone's different, but I scored >520 on my first attempt and I definitely wouldn't have studying on my own.