Kaplan+Mcat=Low Scores!!!!! Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpvm99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am enrolled in the Kaplan course. I have taken 4 of the 5 pratice MCATS> Unfortunately, I seem to be averaging only 7.5s on each section. I have done lal the topical tests and have completed some section tests. Does anyone have any advice on what to study or do to improve my scores?? I have found that especiall yon verbal i am running out of time. and physics wel that is a lost cause lol BILL

Members don't see this ad.

I was getting 7's as well but recently I have tried something different that has helped, let me explain...

On the verbal, don't spend more than the alloted time for each section. If you have no clue what the answer is then just guess and move on no matter what. If you come across a really hard passage, skip that passage and do it last. Go to this link and read it carefully, it really helped me: http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum1/HTML/000681.html

For the Physical Sciences portion, the same rules apply, just make sure you know the concepts inside out, especially simple concepts you think you already know.

Go over all of your mistakes and make sure you understand them. Before Saturday, go over all the material and pay close attention to sections you have had trouble with. Don't bother with Organic Chem too much, it isn't a big chunk of the exam and the concepts are usually simple.

Just make sure you get plenty of sleep, I can tell you that will have a huge impact on how well you do and relax. Before each section of the exam take a few deep breaths because we tend to hold our breaths when under pressure.

Good Luck

I took the MCATs in April and here is my advice. DO AS MANY PRACTICE PASSAGES AS YOU CAN, AND THEN DO MORE. It is the only thing that can help you. I cannot stress enough how much just mastering the test itself instead of trying to memorize all the material will help you. You still have enough time to do plenty of practice passages. For verbal, read the entire passage and then go back to it to answer the questions. The more you do this, the quicker you will get at it. A lot of people say to stop studying a day or two before the exam but I studied till about 2am before the exam and when I took the test it was like muscle memory. I felt like I was taking another practice test. I was very happy with that method. That's just my opinion. Good luck!!

bpvm99-

based on my personal kaplan experience, i don't know how accurate the testing system is. while i understand that the practice tests are not supposed to predict your exact score, they're supposed tob e a good indicator, right? well, in my practice tests, i scored 33-35 on all but the first one, and my actual test score was significantly lower. i know most people have a different experience, but i'm jsut relaying mine to you. in short, there's absolutely no substitute for simply knowing the material.