Kaplan Ochem Flashcard error?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futureortho24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Question - in the kaplan flashcards, O34 says T/F the reduction of an alkyne on a metal surface (pd) results in a cis alkene

I thought that was true, but the answer on the flashcard says it is false that it forms an alkane! Am I mistaken or is there an error on the card?

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to burst the bubble here, but the flash card is right. Only when paired with a "poison catalyst" (Lindlar's catalyst) or only one equivalent of H2 and Pt will it stop at a cis alkene or else it is potent enough to continue on. Hope that helps out.

Members don't see this ad :)
asckwan said:
Sorry to burst the bubble here, but the flash card is right. Only when paired with a "poison catalyst" (Lindlar's catalyst) or only one equivalent of H2 and Pt will it stop at a cis alkene or else it is potent enough to continue on. Hope that helps out.

Not an error
Asckwan is 100% correct

I never heard of that - Thanks for the info! It is ok Messenger, I thought there really was an error! I will have to keep this in mind that ONLY when paired with a poison catalyst it reacts in the way I first thought!

Thanks guys!

Yea, sometimes you gotta sit back and remember that you are on a forum which anyone can reply to you. The flashcard is indeed correct. When reducing an alkyne using H2/platinum it is syn addition but it doesn't stop at the alkene, it goes all the way through to the alkane.

Futureortho24 said:
Hello everyone! Question - in the kaplan flashcards, O34 says T/F the reduction of an alkyne on a metal surface (pd) results in a cis alkene

I thought that was true, but the answer on the flashcard says it is false that it forms an alkane! Am I mistaken or is there an error on the card?

THANKS!!

There is a hidden assumption: you have an excess amnt of H.