Futureortho24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2005
Status
Hello everyone! Question - in the kaplan flashcards, O34 says T/F the reduction of an alkyne on a metal surface (pd) results in a cis alkene

I thought that was true, but the answer on the flashcard says it is false that it forms an alkane! Am I mistaken or is there an error on the card?

THANKS!!

About the Ads

asckwan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2005
Gainesville, Texas
Status
Pre-Dental
Sorry to burst the bubble here, but the flash card is right. Only when paired with a "poison catalyst" (Lindlar's catalyst) or only one equivalent of H2 and Pt will it stop at a cis alkene or else it is potent enough to continue on. Hope that helps out.

Rook

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
asckwan said:
Sorry to burst the bubble here, but the flash card is right. Only when paired with a "poison catalyst" (Lindlar's catalyst) or only one equivalent of H2 and Pt will it stop at a cis alkene or else it is potent enough to continue on. Hope that helps out.
Not an error
Asckwan is 100% correct

OP
F

Futureortho24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2005
Status
I never heard of that - Thanks for the info! It is ok Messenger, I thought there really was an error! I will have to keep this in mind that ONLY when paired with a poison catalyst it reacts in the way I first thought!

Thanks guys!

slayerdeus

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Yea, sometimes you gotta sit back and remember that you are on a forum which anyone can reply to you. The flashcard is indeed correct. When reducing an alkyne using H2/platinum it is syn addition but it doesn't stop at the alkene, it goes all the way through to the alkane.

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status
Futureortho24 said:
Hello everyone! Question - in the kaplan flashcards, O34 says T/F the reduction of an alkyne on a metal surface (pd) results in a cis alkene

I thought that was true, but the answer on the flashcard says it is false that it forms an alkane! Am I mistaken or is there an error on the card?

THANKS!!
There is a hidden assumption: you have an excess amnt of H.

About the Ads