Kaplan Online Course

Started by wes431
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wes431

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have any kaplan classes around my area so I was thinking about enrolling for their online course. Has anyone taken it and what did you guys think?
 
i took kaplan online because i was enrolled in grad classes that conflicted with the times of classroom courses (and also i work better on my own), and i LOVED IT!

I loved being able to watch the videos when I had spare time, work on everything at my own pace, and do it from home in my pjs. I never had a problem having my questions answered through email, so not having access to a specific instructor was never an issue.

that being said, i'm crazy self-motivated and have never had a problem setting a schedule and sticking to it. a lot of my mph coursework was online, so I was used to working from home and getting things done. so, if you won't have a time management problem, then go for it!

:luck::luck::luck:
 
I have more questions about the online course:

Are they good quality? What about the connection with the server? Does it run smoothly or get disconnected very often?

Is the practice material worth it? The one in the website? Did you also get a lesson book like what you get in a classroom course? You listen to the teacher and make notes??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i had no problems with the internet connection---everything ran pretty smoothly. I think on one or two videos there were minor problems, like when you finished the lesson, it wouldn't show up as complete on the online syllabus. But that was very rare.

you get the whole set of books that you would get if you were in the classroom course, and access to all the same resources (topical tests, workshops, practice tests, etc). you watch videos of each lesson, which is like a powerpoint with audio that runs on its own, and you can stop and pause and rewind, and watch it as much as you want, taking notes in your lesson book as you go.

For me, the material they provided was priceless. I used only my kaplan course and the NOVA physics book, which I recommend for everyone. I had taken some of the classes at school recently, but some I hadn't had for several years. I think the kaplan review books went over everything well enough for me to feel pretty prepared. Mostly though, it was all the constant practice tests and concept quizzes and topical tests that helped the most.

take as many practice tests as you can, and pay attention to what you're getting wrong, and why. the aamc practice tests online let you go over what you've missed and pick reasons why you missed, so you can see if you did a calculation wrong, had no idea what to do, guessed wrong, misapplied a concept, or accidentally put the wrong answer. Then you practice fixing THAT error.
 
I am thinking of getting the online course but i only have 3 months left. I plan to take it in January (and possibly April). I haven't tried any full lengths exam yet but i think i need to practice more before trying for real all those AAMCs etc. Do you think i will have enough time if i join now?
I thought it may be a good idea if i join in late November since the course access is good for 5 months (then this way, it will last till end of April).

I work 2 jobs and have 2 volunteer jobs. So, it's tough to do a whole thorough review on all subjects before doing real full length practice exam. Will be taking almost 3 weeks off work in January to prepare.

Are all the topical tests helpful? I need more practice on physics and verbal for sure (And some topics like genetics in bio).
Are they all in computer or is it exactly the same as it is in the lesson book? I borrowed the lesson book from my friend and it looked very simple.
Do you have quick access to the tutors?


Thanks
 
i registered in mid-january and got everything set up and ready by the end of jan. I took the mcat mid-may, and took a month off around feb because of crazy personal life. That being said, I set steady pace and still didn't finish everything. I left off studying verbal, because that was my strongest section, and focused on bio (because I hate orgo, but wanted to rule the bio section) and physics (because I was strong in gen chem already). So having about 4 months worked for me, along with taking 15 credit hours and working 25 hours per week.

Try the AAMC 3R online (it's FREE!!!) and use it as a diagnostic. I scored 6 points higher on my real mcat, after studying for 4 months. I only practiced with AAMC tests, but that was due more to time constraints. I tried to take a practice exam every 2-3 weeks in the beginning, and then every week the 2 months before the exam, and then the week before the test I took 2 more. I had the last week before the exam completely free to study.

The topical tests are helpful, if only to show you exactly WHERE you are struggling, and because they help familiarize you with the format of questions. Everything (all the tests) were online. I'm not sure what you're asking about tutors, but if you want a tutor, they cost extra (a LOT). for physics, do the NOVA book. It's under $30 on amazon and it will rock your world.

Frankly, the lessons aren't insanely helpful content wise. They teach what concepts are heavy on the test, and their strategies to tackle those concepts, but you don't learn content from them, it's more like review after you've read the books and done the preview homework.

in terms of expiration date, join NNNNNNOW!!!!! mine was supposed to expire right after my exam, but magically extended itself an extra 4 months anyway. And you can always call and tell them you've decided to take it in april, and will they extend it for you (they're usually super nice about this).

so, only you can really know if you have the time and discipline and energy to study in that short a span of time. The good thing is that you can always bow out of the january test in favor of april's and then you've got those extra months if you need them. I felt rushed always, and i basically abandoned my friends for awhile, but they were nice about it. and i still wished that i had 2 extra solid weeks of studying right before the exam, but it would probably have been overkill. this was a crazy long post, so pm me if you have more questions.

:luck::luck: