Kaplan Online MCAT Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLsurf05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I was wondering if any of you have taken the online version of the Kaplan course. I just want to know if you were satisfied with the class or if you think you would have been better off taking an actual classroom course or just buying a book.

I live an hour and a half from any of the Kaplan classroom sites, I won't even be home from school until two weeks after the class starts, and I know I will be going on at least one week long vacation during the summer, so it seems a little crazy for me to enroll in a classroom course. Still, the online version is almost as expensive as the live version, and I don't want to waste money on something that isn't that helpful.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a search and couldn't find anything!

Thanks,

Beverly

Members don't see this ad.

They're close to the same price because the real value in the Kaplan classroom course is the books and materials available online. The classes themselves aren't bad, but in my opinion they're secondary to all the topical tests, practice tests, quizzes, online workshops, etc.

Economist said:
They're close to the same price because the real value in the Kaplan classroom course is the books and materials available online. The classes themselves aren't bad, but in my opinion they're secondary to all the topical tests, practice tests, quizzes, online workshops, etc.[/QUOT

Thanks! That helps a lot. I wasn't really sure how helpful the actual classes were. If you didn't think they were extra helpful, I probably don't want to drive 1.5 hours and then sit through them anyway!

i found the classroom course not to be that helpful. the teachers know the material but i think not enough to explain them really well. i think you'll get the most outta the online stuff and your books. plus you can take that 1.5 hours and study a little bit more. i was in the classroom course but had to switch to online and they told me that the material is all the same except you dont get the teacher. i'd say the ditch the teacher and buy a few more books.. :D

Unlike Princeton Review and other companies, Kaplan does not give you any topical tests or full length MCAT tests to take home. You must actually go to the center to take these tests. If there's no way to make it to the Kaplan test center, don't take kaplan because you'd be missing its strongest strength. Aside from this very important detail, the online course is just as good as the inclass one. So if theres absolutely no way to make it to the site, I would just buy the AAMC practice tests and Examkrackers practice material or something along those lines.

FLsurf05 said:
Hi.

I was wondering if any of you have taken the online version of the Kaplan course. I just want to know if you were satisfied with the class or if you think you would have been better off taking an actual classroom course or just buying a book.

I live an hour and a half from any of the Kaplan classroom sites, I won't even be home from school until two weeks after the class starts, and I know I will be going on at least one week long vacation during the summer, so it seems a little crazy for me to enroll in a classroom course. Still, the online version is almost as expensive as the live version, and I don't want to waste money on something that isn't that helpful.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a search and couldn't find anything!

Thanks,

Beverly