kaplan or princeton review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,
I am looking to sign up for one of these review classes for April MCAT. I am sure this is not the first time someone asked this question. Please let me know which one you thought was better.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll have a tough time answering this question because I have never known anybody who took BOTH Princeton Review and Kaplan. If they did i'm sure a lot changed inbetween those two courses, i.e. a lot more motivation. Personally I took the Princeton Review. I think that they have a higher bar in terms of who they let teach for them (all my TPR teachers were grad students or people with an advanced degree) whereas at Kaplan I heard all it takes to teach is getting a 10 on that section of the MCAT.

Hi friends,
I am looking to sign up for one of these review classes for April MCAT. I am sure this is not the first time someone asked this question. Please let me know which one you thought was better.

This matter has been discussed in great detail in lot of threads in Pre-allo.Try using search function there, I bet ya there are close to 100 threads like this.

Anyway from the impression I have,Basically PR has more detailed study material while Kaplan has a lot more test material.There is more information from people who took both these courses in Pre-Allo, Check it out.

Best of Luck !

Neither. IMHO you are better off to buy their review books at about $75 apiece or free from friends/libraries/Pre-Med Office (from both sources plus Exam krackers), buy the practice MCAT from the AAMC for around $200, and just study by yourself for 3-4 months. Make it a goal to review two review books, take a full-length practice test every couple of weeks or so on a Saturday, and save yourself the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well
I took Kaplan, but I teach for Princeton
I think princeton is a lot more comprehensive. We go over a lot more material, and it's easier to catch up if you miss one class (3 compared to 9 per). I have to go now, but I'll be happy to answer more questions
We also have to make our own lesson plans, which means I really really go over the material to make sure I know it exceptionally well.

my op is as follows.

I took Kaplan...teaching TPR now.
Why?
Because Kaplan doesn't let college students teach.
Does that matter?
No because grad students who are NOT in med school know less about the mcats than college students who took them and are on the same track as the kids in the class.

So which one would I have taken having experience with both?

Because I don't need instructors to spoon feed me information (like we're suppose to do at TPR) I found Kaplan's materials better suited for me.
If you don't think you have all the info down, then I'd say take TPR to LEARN the info and acquire the Kaplan material either by spending 1700 and purchasing their online stuff or via other routes.

I advocate Kaplan because I think they have better practice material. However, I think TPR study material is better than Kaplans (review notes).

So what should you do? If you have the means, get things from both. If you don't, take Kaplan and supplement with either EK or TPR.

Depends on everything everyone said above.

You know what you need better than us.

Do you need a class to get motivated?

Will you have all the prereqs before the MCAT and just need a review?

Just some questions to ponder.

I think TPR is best to learn indepth material with and Kaplan has better practice tests and materials. On the other hand, you can skip Kaplan and just buy all the AAMCs and use the TPR science workbook for practice with the AAMCs.

I have all the material and chose to do TPR and some AAMCs.

I am saving some in case I need a retake. I think four practice tests is enough to gauge where you are.

Make your own schedule based on yourself.

Personally, I think the review courses are a waste of money if you can get the materials and learn own your own. I think alot people take them because they are scared by the "what if I did not take it".

You could always try by yourself and it does not work, then take the review course.

So many options. I suggest taking some time and decide what you need and the best option to get it.

TPR has much better in class sessions. I would recommend them because thats really what your paying for.