Kaplan PAT vs Actual

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard mixed things about the Kaplan PAT. Some people have said that it is not representative of the actual DAT in that it is easier. However, I've also heard that a lot of the people that do take the Kaplan course usually score lower overall on every section of the midterm/final than on the actual DAT. So in terms of each of the 6 question types in PAT, can someone give a comparison between the difficulty levels of Kaplan PAT problems vs the actual DAT PAT problems?

Members don't see this ad.

I did Kaplan and my actual PAT scores were similar to Kaplans. I actually was averaging around 18 in Kaplan and got a 19 on the real thing so in my experience I would say Kaplan was pretty accurate

thanks for the reply. this may be answering the same question, but besides getting a similar "score", how would you compare the Kaplan PAT "problems" with that of the actual DAT.

I got a 26 PAT on the real thing (thread here) and between the midterm, final, and 3 practice tests on the Kaplan online class, my PAT score was ranging between 23 and 30.

Here are my impressions:

Keyholes: Kaplan seemed the same as the real thing, I'd say.

TFE: Kaplan seemed the same.

Angles: Kaplan was way easier. On the real thing, I swear the angles were 1 degree apart. Kaplan's biggest/smallest strategy works for eliminating some wrong answers, but you still have to figure out which of the remaining answers is correct. On Kaplan, if you identified biggest and smallest, 9/10 times you could narrow it down to a single answer based just on that.

Hole Punch: real thing much harder. Definitely doable, but not a total cake walk like Kaplan.

Cube counting: real thing and Kaplan were similar.

Pattern folding: real thing and Kaplan were similar.