Kaplan Pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Do you know how much Kaplan pays? Princeton Review? Others?

Thanks! :p :love: :p

Members don't see this ad.

i think i remember something like $7/hr for training and $14/hr for teaching, but i haven't looked into that for about 6 months.

Kaplan pays from $17/hr-20/hr, depending on your location (more expensive cities translate into higher wages). This is what you are paid for TEACHING and office hours. Preparation of the lessons themselves, which can take 1-3 hrs/lesson, will get you $7/hr.

Princeton offers comparable wages.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR starts at about $20/hr, with variation in different cities. But you're not paid for prep time, which is why I do all my prep in office hours. :)

So, do you get some number of office hours for every class hour?

Thanks.

It depends on the office. My office lets you have as many office hours as you like (within reason). Some offices say that you can have up to as many office hours as you have class hours. Some say that you can only have 6 hours per course.

Kaplan pay can be as low as $13-15/hour in certain areas. You get a predetermined number of prep hours (42?) for teaching the MCAT course for the first time, prorated if you are only teaching some sections. If you are teaching for the second or subsequent times, you get very few prep hours (7?).

First time round, you will probably spend 1-3 hours to prep for each HOUR of class time (not each lesson), especially if you are going to prepare to answer specific questions on the preview/review and homework.

The setup totally sucks. It's nearly impossible to teach a class without having spent any prep-time. What happens is this: You don't prepare, then you end up looking like a fool in front of the students. It's a cheap trick that the company plays on you in order to get you to prep for free. In other words, you don't want to look like an idiot, and you don't want to let your students down, so you prep without getting paid.

That's pathetic. Kaplan sucks.