Kaplan PCAT Scores vs Real PCAT Percentiles

Started by Bob Wells
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bob Wells

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone taken a Kaplan Diagnostic PCAT exam and a Real PCAT? I would like to compare their diagnostic (composite) scores to one's real Pcat percentiles so I know where I stand.
 
Has anyone taken a Kaplan Diagnostic PCAT exam and a Real PCAT? I would like to compare their diagnostic (composite) scores to one's real Pcat percentiles so I know where I stand.

I find Kaplan to be a pretty good measure of the score you will receive on the last exam. However, if you've just taken the diagnostic and haven't started studying yet, then I don't think there is any real correlation. If you did well, good for you..you probably know your stuff and the score can only go up from there. If not, then you know how much you have to study. Use it as it is: a diagnostic.
 
I second that, it is a really awesome guideline. I made around an 85 to a 90 on my kaplan test and my actual Pcat was an 87. It was right on the money, I highly recommend those guys to anyone studying for the test. Just remember you have to put the time in to do well. And Good luck.
 
Thanks for the speedy replies; The Kaplan course I am taking only gives scores in percentages correct and overall composite score not percentiles. I am trying to figure out how these scores translate because I know the Kaplan scores stay fairly consistent (so they can offer the higher score guarantee). I guess I am asking for a comparison of your Kaplan scores and your real PCAT scores such as "I got an overall ~500 composite on my final kaplan exam and an overall 90 percentile on the real thing."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the speedy replies; The Kaplan course I am taking only gives scores in percentages correct and overall composite score not percentiles. I am trying to figure out how these scores translate because I know the Kaplan scores stay fairly consistent (so they can offer the higher score guarantee). I guess I am asking for a comparison of your Kaplan scores and your real PCAT scores such as "I got an overall ~500 composite on my final kaplan exam and an overall 90 percentile on the real thing."

Those composite numbers don't mean much. Go to the people at the Kaplan center, and they have conversion charts that will tell you what the number converts to in percentages.
I can't remember what my numbers were, but I do know that my percentages were pretty close to what I actually scored on the exam.
 
We had Kaplan come in and give us a free example of the PCAT when I was pre-pharm. Obviously, the test was designed to be really difficult so you would think you didn't have a chance and would pay for their course. I didn't do so well on it but ended up getting an 88 on the PCAT the first and only time I took it. I'd take the PCAT first without doing the course and see how well you do. If you don't do well then take the course. It will save you more than a grand if you didn't need it.

They aren't teaching you content but how to take the test. Just remember, each question is worth the same amount. They mix it up with the degree of difficulty of questions on the actual PCAT. Don't spend 15 minutes on a really difficult question when you could have answered 10 really easy ones in that time. You won't get any more points for your effort. The makers of the test know this is how we have all been conditioned through our pre-requisite courses that the more difficult questions are worth more and play on that. The PCAT is made by an arm of Pearson called "The Psych Corp." It's not designed so much to test your knowledge as it is to see if you know how to get through it and not get caught by it's traps in my opinion.
 
Prep by yourself and see how you do on the PCAT. Only take the prep course if you do very HORRIBLE on the test, otherwise I am sure you motivate and push yourself to study more to improve the second time around. A lot of people tell me Kaplan is a waste of time/money.