Kaplan prep vs. First Aid vs. other resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daniel1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I was just wondering for people who did well on the step 1 USMLE, would you recommend kaplan's prep course? or did you mostly use First Aid ? any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to gather the best prep books for studying. Thank you. Besides First Aid, what else should I get?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys

I was just wondering for people who did well on the step 1 USMLE, would you recommend kaplan's prep course? or did you mostly use First Aid ? any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to gather the best prep books for studying. Thank you. Besides First Aid, what else should I get?

Thank you

Depends on what you mean by Kaplan prep. I know you asked for people who have taken the exam- but I havent yet. I am using Kaplan comprehensive and my knowledge is amazing. On UWorld my average hovers between 80 to 85% first pass...I don't do random but whatever. Its not like if I get a GI q I wont know its a GI q. Anyway comprehensive is time consuming- something like 3000 pages of text- so if you have at least 6 months time with 2 of those free (no classes etc) then I recommend it immensly.

I would say that You absolutely need FA regardless of what you study simply because it is constantly updated and its diagrams and images are way more high yield than anything out there.

I think Kaplan comprehensive is the Gold standard - their path is weak but BRS path plus pathoma and FA is more than enough for that ( I use goljan to review at the end to make sure I got it all for each system). I've completed Neuro, Cardio, Endo, Repro, GI. For some systems I've scored in the 85 average others are 80-81 ish on UWorld.

Do you need it? only if you're weak on basic sciences- its well put together. Otherwise stick to FA if you know your biochem, immuno etc really well.

I cant speak for Kaplan hi yield- but people say it sa lot like DIT- reading over FA

Depends on what you mean by Kaplan prep. I know you asked for people who have taken the exam- but I havent yet. I am using Kaplan comprehensive and my knowledge is amazing. On UWorld my average hovers between 80 to 85% first pass...I don't do random but whatever. Its not like if I get a GI q I wont know its a GI q. Anyway comprehensive is time consuming- something like 3000 pages of text- so if you have at least 6 months time with 2 of those free (no classes etc) then I recommend it immensly.

I would say that You absolutely need FA regardless of what you study simply because it is constantly updated and its diagrams and images are way more high yield than anything out there.

I think Kaplan comprehensive is the Gold standard - their path is weak but BRS path plus pathoma and FA is more than enough for that ( I use goljan to review at the end to make sure I got it all for each system). I've completed Neuro, Cardio, Endo, Repro, GI. For some systems I've scored in the 85 average others are 80-81 ish on UWorld.

Do you need it? only if you're weak on basic sciences- its well put together. Otherwise stick to FA if you know your biochem, immuno etc really well.

I cant speak for Kaplan hi yield- but people say it sa lot like DIT- reading over FA

Thank you! Also for first Aid, do you mean the Q&A book or the 2014 first aid step1 or the case series first aid? there are so many! i'm so confused

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, when you're talking about Kaplan comprehensive we're talking the one that costs multiple thousands of dollars, right?

Just to be clear, when you're talking about Kaplan comprehensive we're talking the one that costs multiple thousands of dollars, right?

Yes or you can go on Ebay and buy everything for under 200 bucks like I did.