Kaplan product: medEssentials

Started by Med01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Med01

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering if anyone has feedback on using a new Kaplan product, medEssentials. It is a to prepare for Boards, using combination of a review book and online study and evaluation tool to help review mastery of basic sciences.

Does anyone know how much it cost, and whether it was useful.
 
I was in the beta test for it, but I didn't really participate. The hard cover book seems to be very similar to a first aid with review on all topics *shrug*
 
I have the book - snapped it up for free right before I quit the place. I haven't really looked at it yet. . . So far the BRS books have worked well for me in reviewing for exams, tho (esp. the physio one).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I bought it last year but I haven't used it much. The book might be good for preparing for boards this spring. My online access expired. I mainly bought it for the online component, but it turned out not to be very good for studying for my courses. The online exercises are more basic than what we need to know, and were really a waste of time.
 
I used medessentials, 1st aid, Goljan audio lectures, and Kaplan Path audio lectures almost exclusively for step 1 prep and did well (240). I really liked medessentials for board review and also found it quite helpful to take notes in during class because lectures were often organized in a similar fashion during school. Unfortunately, like all review books, it does contain a few errors, so look out!

The online portion of it is a waste of time. they only offer it so they can charge more for the book which is still worth the 100 bucks imho.