Kaplan QBank studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daja

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am now starting to do a lot of Q Bank questions every day as one main part of the schedule, because I am afraid to run out of time only doing subject based studying with Webprep and FA. I am an FMG and I am NOT doing well (around 50%). I would like to ask if you guys always read all of the answer explanations or is it better to concentrate only on the right answer. I am afraid to memorize the wrong things...

Thanks for advice

Members don't see this ad.

i read all the answers, as they often describe the details of the items (correct and incorrect) listed in the question stem. i thought this was a helpful way to review for me. good luck.

About how long does it take to review the answers for a 50 question block? is an hour of review for each hour of questions sufficient?

I usually do all of the questions in tutor mode, and check my answers right away (before I hit next). That way if I've gotten it wrong, I can read why. But I read the answer even if I've gotten it correct, as there are often some good nuggets of information in there. I've done some blocks of questions in the past, and time hasn't been an issue, so I'm not worried about pacing myself. I'll work on that as I get closer to test time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read all the answer explanations...I don't want to repeat the same mistakes again and again.... :luck:

I also used the tutor mode for qbank on both step 1 & 2. If i didn't, i found myself reviewing the questions in sort of a half-a$$ manner and could never remember why i selected the answer i chose. While this is more time consuming, i found it to be effective for me. Good luck.

good information here.

i'm wondering how you guys retain what you read from the answer choices. i'm usually paranoid about always having material on hand whenever i need to reference them quickly, and of course the online-ness of qbank doesn't lend itself very well to that. so do you guys just try to commit stuff to memory while you're reading the answer explanations, or do you write them down somewhere, or something else?

If i read something in the answer that i thought was a "gem" i would write it down (usually in the margins of the appropriate section of my first aid, which i lived by although others SDNers seem to have something against it). Usually, i would just write down the topic of the question if i thought i needed to review it. Everyone uses a different method, but i never tried to directly memorize anything off qbank.

The important thing to remember is if you get a question wrong you'll eventually see it again (When doing Q banks, I always choose unused + incorrect). So I will eventually have read the explanation for anything I got wrong twice -- once when I got it wrong, and once when I saw it again.

If I see an important point or nuance that I think I should remember especially well, I'll write it down. Not as a reference, but just on some scrap paper, to help commit it to memory. I don't keep a log of those points or anything, as that would be too much work.

automaton said:
good information here.

i'm wondering how you guys retain what you read from the answer choices. i'm usually paranoid about always having material on hand whenever i need to reference them quickly, and of course the online-ness of qbank doesn't lend itself very well to that. so do you guys just try to commit stuff to memory while you're reading the answer explanations, or do you write them down somewhere, or something else?

Wrigleyville said:
The important thing to remember is if you get a question wrong you'll eventually see it again (When doing Q banks, I always choose unused + incorrect). So I will eventually have read the explanation for anything I got wrong twice -- once when I got it wrong, and once when I saw it again.
The first time through, I did only the questions I hadn't seen ("unused"). After I went all the way through once, I then did only the "incorrect" ones. This ensured a little time between seeing questions and would really show me if they were in my LTM or STM.

I now think it is best to read ALL explanations for te right answers but leave out ballast by not reading all the other ones, but only when I got it wrong or am unsure.
I am only using QBank from a CD so I read the explanations for each question right away. It is a good way of studying and I hope it will get better as I cover all the subjects.

is it possible to mark all the ones that u got wrong as u are going thru tutor mode and the do only those q's that u got wrong?

is it better to do the questions in tutor mode or test mode, review as u go or at the end? Pros and cons of each?

HiddenTruth said:
is it better to do the questions in tutor mode or test mode, review as u go or at the end? Pros and cons of each?

test mode is better. do 50-question blocks, then review the explanations for every question. this method takes longer, but is the most effective.

doc05 said:
test mode is better. do 50-question blocks, then review the explanations for every question. this method takes longer, but is the most effective.
do they post the question with the answer when you review?

Hidden-
Yup, they post the question with the review. In the tutor mode, you get to immediately review the answer to the question you are working on. I found this helpful early on in clarifying my weak points, however it does not prepare you for the time constraints of the exam. This is a pro of the test mode. You do blocks (50 is the number on step 1 per block, 46 for step 2) and then review the questions after completing all of them. This is like the real exam (obviously you don't review the answers) and is great for time preparation. I used this mode as my exam date approached, although i sometimes had difficulty reviewing the questions after the block (got lazy once in a while--and burned out). You also can redo the questions you miss (although this becomes time consuming). Either way, qbank is a great resource..the test screen is identical to the exam and the questions are very similar (from what i remember). I would suggest trying both modes and figuring out which one works best for you. I liked tutor mode, but others obviously found the test mode very effective. Good luck.