Step I Kaplan QReview Full Length worthwhile?

Started by luhando
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luhando

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just wondering what experiences people have had with it. im not looking to use it as a diagnostic tool (ill use the nbme's for that)...but just wondering if ill benefit from a simulated full lenght about 5 days before the real thing.

the reason i ask is cause if i dont do that...it gives me an extra day to do other qbank questions and First Aid. was even thinking of taking a look at BSS. anyway...yeah just wondering if people thought it was worthwhile.
 
just wondering what experiences people have had with it. im not looking to use it as a diagnostic tool (ill use the nbme's for that)...but just wondering if ill benefit from a simulated full lenght about 5 days before the real thing.

the reason i ask is cause if i dont do that...it gives me an extra day to do other qbank questions and First Aid. was even thinking of taking a look at BSS. anyway...yeah just wondering if people thought it was worthwhile.

I wish I hadn't bothered. The nice thing about the test is that you get a chance to see the questions, answers, explanations afterwards, so you can use it as a learning tool. It also simulates a full length exam - if you haven't done that yet. (I did the Kaplan one a week ago and another full length today, and I'm tired of the long exams....)

They give you a percent correct, which you can plug into their score estimator - but I wonder how accurate that is, since the score estimator seems to be more aimed at the qbank itself than the exam.

I would've preferred to just take another NBME. As it is, I don't have time to go through the questions on the exam for their explanations, so it was not a particularly productive test for me to take.
 
I wish I hadn't bothered. The nice thing about the test is that you get a chance to see the questions, answers, explanations afterwards, so you can use it as a learning tool. It also simulates a full length exam - if you haven't done that yet. (I did the Kaplan one a week ago and another full length today, and I'm tired of the long exams....)

They give you a percent correct, which you can plug into their score estimator - but I wonder how accurate that is, since the score estimator seems to be more aimed at the qbank itself than the exam.

I would've preferred to just take another NBME. As it is, I don't have time to go through the questions on the exam for their explanations, so it was not a particularly productive test for me to take.

That seems so odd - to offer a full length exam and then not the score correlation. They've got to have enough data from people taking their qbank to estimate something.

I was wondering whether I should take this or not, but these are pretty good points - I'm going to go for an NBME instead.
 
i was on the fence about this as well, and if it was 150 or 200 questions, i would take it, but 350 is just too goddamn long. personally, i think it's idiotic taking an 8 hour exam a few days before the real thing. "you wouldn't run a practice marathon before the real thing, would you?"
 
That seems so odd - to offer a full length exam and then not the score correlation. They've got to have enough data from people taking their qbank to estimate something.

I was wondering whether I should take this or not, but these are pretty good points - I'm going to go for an NBME instead.

well, like I said, you can plug your numbers into their score estimator calculator, but for some reason, that just doesn't seem good enough.