Kaplan QReview Full Length worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by luhando, Jun 2, 2008.

1. luhando

luhando Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just wondering what experiences people have had with it. im not looking to use it as a diagnostic tool (ill use the nbme's for that)...but just wondering if ill benefit from a simulated full lenght about 5 days before the real thing.

the reason i ask is cause if i dont do that...it gives me an extra day to do other qbank questions and First Aid. was even thinking of taking a look at BSS. anyway...yeah just wondering if people thought it was worthwhile.

2. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wish I hadn't bothered. The nice thing about the test is that you get a chance to see the questions, answers, explanations afterwards, so you can use it as a learning tool. It also simulates a full length exam - if you haven't done that yet. (I did the Kaplan one a week ago and another full length today, and I'm tired of the long exams....)

They give you a percent correct, which you can plug into their score estimator - but I wonder how accurate that is, since the score estimator seems to be more aimed at the qbank itself than the exam.

I would've preferred to just take another NBME. As it is, I don't have time to go through the questions on the exam for their explanations, so it was not a particularly productive test for me to take.

3. myrtle

myrtle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That seems so odd - to offer a full length exam and then not the score correlation. They've got to have enough data from people taking their qbank to estimate something.

I was wondering whether I should take this or not, but these are pretty good points - I'm going to go for an NBME instead.

4. doctorFred

doctorFred intensive carer
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i was on the fence about this as well, and if it was 150 or 200 questions, i would take it, but 350 is just too goddamn long. personally, i think it's idiotic taking an 8 hour exam a few days before the real thing. "you wouldn't run a practice marathon before the real thing, would you?"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well, like I said, you can plug your numbers into their score estimator calculator, but for some reason, that just doesn't seem good enough.