Kaplan retreat yes/no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batera2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had questions regarding the Kaplan Retreat (experiences, suggestions..etc) Do you feel you would do it again or would you study on your own? What type of student is this meant for?

Members don't see this ad.

forward this to the step1 forum. i recalling someone giving an excellent breakdown of kaplan retreat. so post this there, you'll get more replies.

If you plan to take the exam within a few weeks of finishing the retreat, I would NOT recommend taking the retreat. You are absolutely exhausted after going 8-5 everyday, with barely 1 day off per week. Mind you, the classes are wonderful, and help point out key things, and the professors are great for the most part.

But otherwise, if you exam is further away from your retreat end date, like 3+ weeks, then definately take the retreat.

It won't be worth $5500, but its definately a big help that I would do again.

I went to the program for 3 weeks then left - went back home, and studied on my own (I'll post my own review after I get my scores)

The program is directed towards people geared only to pass. I had a 220 1 month prior to going and felt that at the pace they were going I could go over 5x as much on my own.

Class is from 8-5, after which you hardly have time to review what was done, most professors read off the ppts/book, and really the WORST part is tons of very very very uninformed people ask tons of realllly bad questions that would have been answered had the person just read the book. Class sometimes went until 7 because students would ask the most ******ed questions "could you explain this again", "if a 16 year old girl had HIV and was from mars would she be competant?", "what's a nucleosome?". Note, the professors answer questions during breaks... these students jsut feel that their question is just that important.

I couldnt take it. Biggest waste of money in my life.

That being said, the subjects that I was taught I did learn well because of the opportunity to ask questions DURING BREAKS, and for behavioral Dr. Daugherty was amazing, if you thrive in a classroom environment, or perhaps simply want to pass it's the program for you.

However, I do feel that if you werent from the US, and were STARTING your board review with the retreat it would be fantastic. IF you had around 1-2 months after the program to relearn everything it'd be great. Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend against it.

PM me if you want more info. I'll post an indepth review on the 19th.

Members don't see this ad :)
$$5500?! f*** that (unless Goljan was definitely gonna be there)

If you've got the cash, why not just get webprep so you can learn at your own pace and pick and choose the lecture topics?

First 2 years of med school were more then enough lecture time for me!!

Had questions regarding the Kaplan Retreat (experiences, suggestions..etc) Do you feel you would do it again or would you study on your own? What type of student is this meant for?

My school advisors counseled us that, unlike eg MCAT prep, statistically folks who took USMLE courses did not do any better than their counterparts who did self study and thus they advised us not to take any. Not sure if Kaplan is claiming different results. Unless they convincingly are, it seems like a lot of investment for the return.

I think that if you first read the books, and have a really overall idea of the test and you are an IMG then the course is for you.

my 2 cents

ps I did not took it, Im not rich:D

My school advisors counseled us that, unlike eg MCAT prep, statistically folks who took USMLE courses did not do any better than their counterparts who did self study and thus they advised us not to take any. Not sure if Kaplan is claiming different results. Unless they convincingly are, it seems like a lot of investment for the return.

Same goes for the MCAT. An AAMC study showed no benefit in taking a course to prepare for the MCAT vs. self-study.

With the right books and motivation you should be able to teach yourself or get a better understanding about almost anything.