China and Eastern Asia Kaplan review course versus Self study

Started by DJMD777
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DJMD777

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HI all of you 🙂 ! this is my first time posting a reply here but i have read almost all of the threads. 👍

I am a junior Filipino American med student going onto clerkship this April 😉 . I attend University of Santo Tomas med school Manila and in a 100%PBL medical curriculum. My question is regarding on how to go about reviewing for the USMLE step 1 effeciently, effectively, and not being overkill. I have tons of books (FA, BRS, HY, etc. + signing up for Qbank) suggested by people here and the First AID but i dont know if those will be suffice as review materials for IMGs. I know for the majority of US students those are plenty. HOwever, since we are IMGs we might be weak in the basics 😕 :scared: , many graduates opt for the more intensive review under Kaplan. Is signing for Kaplan put one at a greater advantage as opposed to someone who did not 😕 ?

I notice that if you sign up for the Kaplan program they give you lecture notes (or review notes). Do you think that these might be comprehensive enough and i would not need other things beside FA? What do you guys think? Also, is there a difference between the actual live lectures (US) and taped lectures (PHIL) of Kaplan? furthermore, is Kaplan home study note kits ($450) the same as the other kaplan's review programs? Lastly, is it feasable to review and take your step 1 during my clerkship years so to possibly be able to reduce the time needed to complete the requirements for ECFMG certificate after graduation and be able to participate in the "MATCH" that year? I know clerkship here is really a form of slavery and exhaustive. I am afraid i might not be able to have enough quality review time if i were to do it and possibly suffer from failing or worse, a low score! 😱

I would appreciate greatly any comments. I specially would like to hear from SPARTANDOC (YOU ARE VERY INFORMATIVE AND HELPFUL!). 🙂 😀

Thank you all. Good luck and God bless all of us? :luck: