Kaplan Section Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the Kaplan Section Tests (not topicals) harder than the Full Lengths generally? Are these worth doing?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i found them to be very helpful. ive seen a good improvement in my sciences from using their practice material. verbal i cant say the same thing though lol, thats always giving me trouble but id still say doing those tests are good practice as well :D

Warning: The Kaplan Verbal Section tests are very difficult. The hardest tests I've seen so far (harder than EK). So don't get discouraged if you don't score well on them. If you CAN score well on them, then you will probably destroy Verbal Reasoning this Saturday.

Originally posted by SensesFail
Warning: The Kaplan Verbal Section tests are very difficult. The hardest tests I've seen so far (harder than EK). So don't get discouraged if you don't score well on them. If you CAN score well on them, then you will probably destroy Verbal Reasoning this Saturday.

what would be considered good on the kaplan verbal section tests? b/c i usually get 38-40 outta 60?? i think that kaplan has helped me on verbal because ive gotten 9's on aamc tests, but AAMC 8 i got a 7 :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
i personally felt that science section test problems are bette than most of the problems from FL 8 or above(most of the FL 11 PS section problems are pure trash).

If you have extra time to do some problems do those, but definitely spend more time on aamc materials.

frany584 said:
[/I]

what would be considered good on the kaplan verbal section tests? b/c i usually get 38-40 outta 60?? i think that kaplan has helped me on verbal because ive gotten 9's on aamc tests, but AAMC 8 i got a 7 :mad:

Yeah, I'm in roughly the same ballpark, except for VR Section Test 11, where I got a fantastic 32/60 and felt like a total idiot. Wish they had scales for these tests, I bet the curves would be really generous. Some of the answer explanations for Kaplan are pretty iffy though, eh? Some seem like they require an enormous leap of logic and I'm sitting there reading them and thinking "Wow, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of it that way". Same goes for the Physics Topicals. But I guess in the end, it's good practice.

yeah these verbal tests are hard just because the passages are dense....i missed anywhere from i guess 18 to 25 or so...maybe more...i dont know...

on EK i'm avg about 10-11 range...was upset for making an 8 and missing 26 yesterday on FL 5 so today did EK and got 70 out of 87 questions right...

my advice: go with your instincts...dont change your techniques now..and relax when you read...i took up Khanal's advice to just read at your own pace and not get bogged down with details and save time by not referring back to passage when necessary...

i still have Verbal from Kaplan FL 10 and 11 that i might do just to mix it up...EK passages tend to be easier for me to digest and the questions harder...Kaplan is the opposite IMO...

also in regards to PS and BS...they would be good to do this wk for practice...dont read into the scores or whatever (i dont even know if there is a scale)...just good for an extra few passages to keep you from rusting...

I felt that the KAPAL verbals were extremely difficult just because of the really dense passages. But practice them because, it's better to gradually adjust reading these types of passages now as opposed to getting surprised by them on the actual MCAT. I believe that these tests alone helped my raise my VR score.

The PS is also brutal and there are a lot of calculations involved...see the topicals. But even if you get them wrong, review why you got them wrong and don'e be disheartened.

what you guys have to say about kaplan verbal is interesting because i took all EK exams and never really made even a 10. However, once i started taking the kaplan full length verbals, I am consistently making 12s.

weird.

dave im guessing that you are a pretty good reader so you can get past these dense passages...with kaplan i often feel that the questions are simpler in the sense that there arent so many questions with 2 very good answers that could get you....i guess im better at questions and not as good at getting through the toughest passages...EK is easier to read so im better at it...but on kaplan sometimes i cant seemingly come up with the main idea of the passage so i dont fare as well...

i think we will see a mixture of this saturday...

jon0013 said:
dave im guessing that you are a pretty good reader so you can get past these dense passages...with kaplan i often feel that the questions are simpler in the sense that there arent so many questions with 2 very good answers that could get you....i guess im better at questions and not as good at getting through the toughest passages...EK is easier to read so im better at it...but on kaplan sometimes i cant seemingly come up with the main idea of the passage so i dont fare as well...

i think we will see a mixture of this saturday...

how were you doing on the EK's?