kaplan step 1 high yield

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteorgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am thinking about purchasing either Kaplan high yeild, or Kaplan Qbank alone, or maybe DIT in the future. I won't be taking step until later, so i'm wondering which i should buy? any thoughts? thanks alot!

and i searched for this but never got a straight answer... does kaplan high yield follow First aid or just supplement it?

Members don't see this ad.

i recommend dit coz kaplan high yeild is very new.very few people used it.so u cannot trust how much u gain from it.may be its good. but dit has been used by many and there r many useful threads on dit in this forum. my exam is in feb 8. i am doing dit now ,really liking it.m on 7th day lecture.

good thing about dit that they r tell many clinical pearls related to facts of first aid.so concepts stick in your brain.and there r tons of quizzes that help in memorizing.its like active teaching.not just sitting and listening to lectures.

I disagree with the last poster - I think that DIT is a complete waste of time and money unless your foundation is already very strong

i am thinking about purchasing either Kaplan high yeild, or Kaplan Qbank alone, or maybe DIT in the future. I won't be taking step until later, so i'm wondering which i should buy? any thoughts? thanks alot!

and i searched for this but never got a straight answer... does kaplan high yield follow First aid or just supplement it?

ASk what you want out of your program.

Kaplan = Augmentation. First of all, Kaplan "High Yield" is the same as "Kaplan Videos." They dont say everything in their book, so its "High Yield." Kaplan is good for augmentation. They will give you knowledge. You read the book, you watch the video, you learn alot. You learn alot using the product. It takes a rediculously long time but the payoff is huge. You use kaplan for augmentation. By augmentation, I mean like titties, as in they are already pretty nice, but now you are gonna make them wow. To push over a 250, you have to learn 10 things NOT on the exam, for every one thing that is. The problem is, you cant know which will be on the exam, so you have to learn hundreds of things you will never use, just in case they show up. Kaplan is good for this. You have to have a lot of time to dedicate, be willing to put up with a grueling pace, be fully dedicated to rigorous studying, and want a baller score.

DIT = A Schedule. There is nothing in this course you cannot get out of First Aid and a Qbank. Nothing. What this program does is provide a structure, a framework, a schedule. It makes you stay on track. Its shorter than Kaplan, and, as such, is meager on the information. It is for getting average or a little higher. I would not listen to their boasts about pushing 240s. The speakers are obnoxious, the content is weak, but it provides the framework. You will end up pausing the video to read the book only to realize that you could have just read the book and been done with it.

Qbanks are for training. Yes, you can learn from Qbanks, and some people do. It can be your only source of learning (especially when coupled with First Aid lookups for the information you get wrong). But really, what Qbanks do is train you on how to answer questions, how to read questions and figure out what they want you to answer. You do the thing that you are going to do on game day so that come game day, you are comfortable with the surroundings, the plays, and the action is smoother.

Bottom Line:

1.) Have a lot of time and want a really high score? FA + Kaplan + Qbank
2.) Are you sort of ADD and need a schedule to keep you on track? FA + DIT + Qbank
3.) Have a really strong foundation or are looking to go average? FA + Qbank

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Kaplan = Augmentation. First of all, Kaplan "High Yield" is the same as "Kaplan Videos." They dont say everything in their book, so its "High Yield." Kaplan is good for augmentation. They will give you knowledge. You read the book, you watch the video, you learn alot. You learn alot using the product. It takes a rediculously long time but the payoff is huge. You use kaplan for augmentation. By augmentation, I mean like titties, as in they are already pretty nice, but now you are gonna make them wow. To push over a 250, you have to learn 10 things NOT on the exam, for every one thing that is. The problem is, you cant know which will be on the exam, so you have to learn hundreds of things you will never use, just in case they show up. Kaplan is good for this. You have to have a lot of time to dedicate, be willing to put up with a grueling pace, be fully dedicated to rigorous studying, and want a baller score.

DIT = A Schedule. There is nothing in this course you cannot get out of First Aid and a Qbank. Nothing. What this program does is provide a structure, a framework, a schedule. It makes you stay on track. Its shorter than Kaplan, and, as such, is meager on the information. It is for getting average or a little higher. I would not listen to their boasts about pushing 240s. The speakers are obnoxious, the content is weak, but it provides the framework. You will end up pausing the video to read the book only to realize that you could have just read the book and been done with it.

Qbanks are for training. Yes, you can learn from Qbanks, and some people do. It can be your only source of learning (especially when coupled with First Aid lookups for the information you get wrong). But really, what Qbanks do is train you on how to answer questions, how to read questions and figure out what they want you to answer. You do the thing that you are going to do on game day so that come game day, you are comfortable with the surroundings, the plays, and the action is smoother.

Bottom Line:

1.) Have a lot of time and want a really high score? FA + Kaplan + Qbank
2.) Are you sort of ADD and need a schedule to keep you on track? FA + DIT + Qbank
3.) Have a really strong foundation or are looking to go average? FA + Qbank

This is absolutely solid advice. I've tried Kaplan, DIT, and Both Qbanks. Kaplan+Time+Qbanks+First Aid review is best for high score. Best thing to do is to use Kaplan while you are studying for 2nd year classes. This helps w/ classes and boards. It takes a LONG time to get through all the material to where you know it cold and are able to use it. But I can attest that the material they have in those videos, especially the Pharm, is GOLDEN. It will also significantly help you during 3rd year rotations.

This is absolutely solid advice. I've tried Kaplan, DIT, and Both Qbanks. Kaplan+Time+Qbanks+First Aid review is best for high score. Best thing to do is to use Kaplan while you are studying for 2nd year classes. This helps w/ classes and boards. It takes a LONG time to get through all the material to where you know it cold and are able to use it. But I can attest that the material they have in those videos, especially the Pharm, is GOLDEN. It will also significantly help you during 3rd year rotations.

I think Kaplan videos are also great ALONG with course material or even if you happen to have "extra time" just to review other material from past courses.

Who told you Kaplan High-Yield is the same as Kaplan videos? It is not. Kaplan High-Yield is just like DIT. They go through and read FA to you, explaining some things here and there. It's nothing like the Kaplan videos.

@OveractiveBrain how is kaplan high yield same as kaplan ?

kaplan high yield is same as dit.

thats what i was telling if choosing between them go with dit coz its tried by many while kaplan high yield is very new n ppl don know much about it

i really do not agree somebody have to have ADD to join dit.the sructure of dit is awesome.atleast they r not conning.they have worked hard in planning and conducting the course .

i m an img i did not know the importnace of first aid .i started it really late so i m getting benefited by dit.

and yes dit shld be towards end of the prep for step 1 .

.................. To push over a 250, you have to learn 10 things NOT on the exam, for every one thing that is...................

DIT = A Schedule. ................. The speakers are obnoxious, the content is weak, but it provides the framework..................................

Qbanks are for training. Yes, you can learn from Qbanks, and some people do. ........................................... But really, what Qbanks do is train you on how to answer questions, how to read questions and figure out what they want you to answer. ...................................
Well said.:thumbup:

Anyone care to share there kaplan high yield lecture study schedule? I'm not taking the test till mid June probably but I would liek to get through all the kaplan lectures within a week or two into my 6 week dedicated study time.

Anyone care to share there kaplan high yield lecture study schedule? I'm not taking the test till mid June probably but I would liek to get through all the kaplan lectures within a week or two into my 6 week dedicated study time.

My plan (I started back in October) was to watch the videos at least twice--once right when we start covering the system in our 2nd yr curriculum, and then I will watch them when I begin really studying for boards (in May-June) basically adding them into the Taus method.

Who told you Kaplan High-Yield is the same as Kaplan videos? It is not. Kaplan High-Yield is just like DIT. They go through and read FA to you, explaining some things here and there. It's nothing like the Kaplan videos.

Then this is literally Brand New, and I would stay away from it. When I did Kaplan for Step 1, "High Yield" was the video from the Live Lecture Series. If it is now an entirely new course, disregard what I was saying.

Apologies if I am spreading misinformation, but the advice stays true, just intended for Kaplan's Video/Live lecture series.

Does anyone know how/if they are going to update the High Yield program with FA 2012? Debating whether I should buy FA 2011 or 2012 to use with this program.

SOLID ADVICE! Right now what I'm doing is also using Kaplan videos along with my courses, and supplementing with QBank and FA. I started using that last semester and my grades rose SIGNIFICANTLY.