Kaplan Study Suggestions...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how in depth everyone goes with their Kaplan studying materials? I just get the feeling when working on the practice questions that they are way more detailed than what really needs to be... anyone else feel this way? Also, how many of you actually go to class? I go there and just feel that if I was studying on my own it would be so much more productive, couple this with the fact that I'm having an extremely hard time keeping up I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't just be better doing my own thing when studying their materials. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm start to just feel like I am really going to be screwed.

Members don't see this ad.

cwb said:
I was just wondering how in depth everyone goes with their Kaplan studying materials? I just get the feeling when working on the practice questions that they are way more detailed than what really needs to be... anyone else feel this way? Also, how many of you actually go to class? I go there and just feel that if I was studying on my own it would be so much more productive, couple this with the fact that I'm having an extremely hard time keeping up I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't just be better doing my own thing when studying their materials. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm start to just feel like I am really going to be screwed.

Hmmm. I took Kaplan twice and dealt with the exact same issues as you are now dealing with. I also did poorly on the MCAT. Thus, I am now using the ExamKrackers home study guide and their study materials after hearing from a close friend as well as several others on this website about how they dramatically improved. You may want to look into Examkrackers by viewing posted info. on this site and visiting the EK website at examkrackers.org.

I go to class every time, but today we had a sub and he was the worst teacher I've had since middle school. Not suprisingly, half the class walked out in the first 50 minutes (including me). But otherwise, the teachers are allright, considering that they are pre-med students too who just got accepted into med school.

For studying, I find it best to study the material from their books and then doing passages from their online qbank.

cwb said:

Their study books are good enough for review. However, if you don't know a topic at all, it is advisable to go back to your textbook. The practice questions are supposed to be harder than the real thing so that you actually retain more material. You are reviewing the questions you got wrong, right? You'd better or you won't learn anything. As for skipping lecture, you could do it if you have the discipline to work on your own. Plus, it depends on how you learn. Some people learn better in lectures. Others learn better just reading on their own. See how you performed in college and plan appropriately.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the only way class can benefit you is if you've read the review notes beforehand. i basically go to class to hammer in any concepts that they feel are vitally important, and i tend to retain minutae when i glean it from different sources. also, the classes are great because they make you go through passages during class time, not to mention the mini MCATs, which also help to integrate the material under timed conditions.

with that said, i'm not doing all of the stuff kaplan requires for their higher score guarantee. i do find the discretes tests to be helpful, as well as the flashcards. the more you look at them, the more things seem to click.

:thumbup:

I've been going to all of the classes and doing most of the suggested assignments. I also do all of the preview work ahead of time. I just took my first full length practice test on Saturday and my score went up 5 points from the diagnostic.