Kaplan University BS Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gjet68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Student in Kaplan University Health Sciences Program. Has anyone from here been a student there and gotten in to Medical School or a PA Program with a BS Degree from there? Im hoping I chose the right school.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a Student in Kaplan University Health Sciences Program. Has anyone from here been a student there and gotten in to Medical School or a PA Program with a BS Degree from there? Im hoping I chose the right school.:)

i know most med schools require an accredited school and prereqs have to be done in-person. Best approach is to call schools in find out how an online degree will be viewed/evaluated.

GL

Search for discussions of online coursework.

Generally:
1. If you don't get to know your professors face to face, you may have trouble getting letters of recommendation.
2. If you do all your labs online you learn more about software than science.
3. Online coursework has a reputation for fraud (for MBAs and law degrees).

Kaplan U is brand new, so you won't find answers about med school matriculation. They're obviously working very hard on accreditation (see the page).

I personally wouldn't recommend doing online coursework unless you're military stationed overseas or similar.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
it can be done but first go to an accredited online school like thomas edison state college - https://www.tesc.edu/ or excelsior college https://www.excelsior.edu/. then do all of your prerequisites in person onsite at a jr college or 4 yr school (preferred). most people don't know that it has been done. do a search online here for thomas edison state college and you will see the MD Applicants profile of an excepted graduate from tesc. also my friends have done it and there is another post regarding this same issue where a online graduate (non-Trad) from excelsior college applied to 8 schools and got interviews at 7 out of 8. Not sure where you are applying but some schools are more interested in your GPA and Mcat scores more than your ugrad school name. see the other posts here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=704627

Hey, I'm currently at Kaplan for their BS in Health Sciences as well. I have gone to the closest Medical School and spoke with them about my degree online and the desire to finish the pre-reqs at a brick and mortar. Long story short, it was HEAVILY advised that I leave Kaplan and just complete my BS at a brick and mortar. Even though Kaplan has the proper accreditation. I did a lot of thinking about it and didn't take her advice lightly since she is with their admissions. Its up to you though. She didn't say, "no, we won't accept that." And I only contacted that one school (which is one of the hardest to get into in my state). I crunched the numbers, compared the $$, compared the estimated time to graduate, and have come to the conclusion that brick and mortar will get me what I want in a more attractive package.

I wonder if we're in class together. I'm taking research methods and diseases of the human body right now.