kaplan verbal reasoning book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Absurdist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO i'm taking the mcat on 5/31 and i got this book from the course I took a while back entitled "Kaplan Verbal Reasoning"

It has 11 verbal reasoning exams ...but there's no scale to compare with the real score you get. I just got a 32/40 on the first one I took today. Don't know how that translates....any help appreciated

also what do you guys think of taking one of these every day until the exam as verbal prep

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

i am having real problems with kaplans verbal...i think i might stop using the book because its really doing alot of harm to my confidence. getting about 70% correct on aamc verbal but under 40% on kaplans verbal booklet....i dont know about yall, but im having trouble eliminating answer choices. they all seem okay....and if i take any longer to analyze the questions, ill run outta time..anyone else see it as i do?

Yeah, I went through the same thing also. I think Ivyhall’s MCAT Practice 50 Verbal Reasoning Passages is written better than those Kaplan ones. It really trains you to pick the best answer from all choices within a limited amount of time. That’s how I got better at my reading and improved my score. The passages are from a variety of scholarly sources and it even contains explanations for the answers, which really helps in my opinion. Overall, the book is organized and really easy to follow through. I’ve tried the other materials, but something about this one stands out. You can still get more info about the book from www.ivyhallreview.com. I think the price is reasonable for what you get out of it. Whatever source you choose, I wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ivyhall looks very suspect.

I have good reasons to say it's even almost a sham, but I'll refrain from stating them here. Just look at the website very carefully and you'll figure it out.

Ivyhall is a legitimate resource. I found out about it through a recommendation, paid for it, and received the book. It is indeed a real book. My friend is a graphic design professional and she can tell the difference between a fake website and a real one. For example, the book is actually sold on many different stores… some, which are very popular. I highly doubt those stores would carry fake products for their potential customers. Beware of those Kaplan promoters who are out there just to tear down every good potential resource besides theirs. I think it’s sad that some students will never have a chance to use material that is better suited for them just because they are misled into thinking they have to buy the bigger brands. Find out what training you really need and research what the actual contents of the book has to offer.

Funny. They changed some of their website content the day I pointed this out. I was going to reserve posting this, until your most recent post. And I don't mean they don't sell an actual book, but many of their claims are absurd (a few of them are now deleted from the site).

I'm amused you referred to your "graphic design friend" to see that it is a real website.

I often see you knocking Examkrackers, Kaplan, and other companies. Perhaps it is you who is doing the bashing and misleading people? Kaplan promoter? A huge percentage of your posts on SDN consists of promoting Ivyhall material, and fyi, the admins are suspect of you. Also, nice work digging up a thread from 2008 to do some of your promotional work. It doesn't take much to see the formulaic nature of posts either, starting with plugging in the Ivyhall name, praising it over X brand, then telling people to make their own choices, as you have done here.

People have no problem with smaller names like Nova, a company recommended for its quality material, instead of sounding like a TV infomercial. It's not that Ivyhall doesn't sell a book, if that's where your confusion lies. It's their dishonest marketing ploys that is disturbing.

I am sure Ivyhall is reading this, so this message is for you: if the book is solid and presents quality material, it will stand on its own. Attacking other companies or putting in false plugs are a lot more transparent than you think. This will be my last remark on Ivyhall--what you do from here is not in my hands.

I am here to have a discussion like everyone else and provide information with the intent of helping others get through what I have already experienced. I understand what it feels like to spend time and money on something only to find out that it was not suited for my learning needs. I believe everyone on this forum has a right to know what the best material is out there for him or her. It is unfortunate that some people make false accusations without any basis whatsoever. Not being courteous is a violation of the terms of this website.

I also believe everyone has a right to voice their own opinions. This is indeed a real book with quality passages and I am still satisfied with the purchase. For all of you out there, I wish you the best in getting a better score regardless of what source you use. Please ignore those guests that cannot discuss topics professionally.