Kaplan VR Strategy Part II: Might actually work...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I complained in an earlier thread after attempting to use Kaplan's VR strategy that it was ineffective b/c it took away from the main idea etc..

What I'm talking about isn't specifically Kaplan's strategy.. but encompasses any strategy that involves writing/highlighting

On passages that had a lot of detail such as "The origins of Japanese language" with lots of technical terms.. and Natural science passages, highlighting and writing stuff down actually HELPS. Highlighting was key... it gave away wrong answers in a second.

On the more humanities, economics related passages, not writing down anything and focusing on the "OVERALL meaning" helped. Writing down actually harmed me more... getting my mind off the main idea.

OR.. perhaps this strategy only works on Kaplan passages. I am not sure how representative they are of the real thing.

I just took Kaplan VR Subject Test #2 online and scored a:

36/40 (90%) up from a 26/40 (65%) on VR Test #1 where I attempted to use Kaplan's strat alone.

Summary so far: Combining EK and Kaplan's strat worked well on test #2, my highest score so far compared to any other practice VR. I'll keep doing it and see how it goes. Anyone else have any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.