Kaplan vs ExamKracker - Best prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RangerD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to take a vote to find out which is the best study guide. Kaplan or EK? Or Kaplan classes vs EK classes? Or maybe something else? :confused:

Post what you think...

Members don't see this ad.

I took Kaplan and used EK books, and now that I got my scores, I wouldn't change a thing......

EK or Berkeley review (if it's available to you).

I would avoid TPR.
I did not take a class. I used berkeley review books, a few EK books, and some TPR books (which were BAD measures of performance).

Seeing my score, maybe EK was not such a good idea afterall though... but i'd still recomend it.
Sonya

TPR gets a lot of negative reviews but I felt like that course did a decent job of reviewing the science necessary for the test. Keep in mind that no prep class can magically guarantee you a high score. IMO the only essential test prep materials are old AAMC practice tests. A self-motivated person could probably achieve a higher score studying independently than with a course. I'm pretty sure that I could have scored higher if I had spent more time practicing test-taking skills rather than attending TPR classes covering science material I mostly already knew.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you do, I would say don't take Kaplan, unless you think you can manage not to fall asleep through the myriad of inane questions and really dull lectures. Honestly, I would say just buy some books and do it on your own - the classes just waste your time. My two pennies...

- Quid

I am giving TPR TESTS a bad rap, not their review material.

There test, for me, proved largely inconsistent, and innacurate compared to each other and my performance on AMCAS test in the same periord.

I have heard good comments from one friend about their test review materials. I did not use their material, simply because I had so much other (adn because I made teh HUGE mistake of mainly reviewing from text books... that was a big waste of time).

do a search on this topic, you'll find a ton of threads on it. for the record, i took EK and thought it was excellent!

I have the EK MCAT study books as well as the Audio Osmosis. It appears pretty good on material I have a good base on. It is a good review and has some good strategies and hints. However, for a subject that I haven't already taken the college course on, it seems that it does not explain quite enough. A lot of the information is just stated as a matter of fact and it seems that if I had some background info regarding the topic, it would make more sense.

I don't know if the content would be the same in the EK classes or not. And, I am wondering if TPR and Kaplan are all like that. Maybe for the more thorough info, maybe I need to just buy a textbook for the course and read through it.

What do you think?

I found EK to be overly hyped but still beter than kaplan materials by far. AO is a joke but I never been much of a audio learner.

I think the best materials is one of those TPR hyperlearning books, the EK verbal passages, and the AAMC 4R-6R. The rest of the AAMC is dated and its not really relevant anymore.

It might have been more helpful to just make a poll about what people think about Kaplan vs. EK...

I used EK for general chemistry and found that in all of my practice MCAT tests, I tended to know the general chem really well and rarely missed questions in that area..

I used Kaplan for everything else and in retrospect after receiving my scores, am not sure their books were all that effective. I think the best thing might be to just buy the whole EK package for the sciences and verbal. There's something about the way EK writes practice questions that forces you to have a deeper understanding of the science, which then makes you a smarter and more efficient test-taker. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy the EK package, their practice tests, the AAMC practice passage items, and the AAMC practice tests. I think if you went through all that material over a few months, you'd be set.

Sachin

I think the EK books and Kaplan books are completely different and there are different study techniques for each.

The EK books are a lot more manageable in terms of amount of material. They basically highlight and bold everything you need to know. The way you study with their books is basically make sure you know EVERYTHING that they have in bold. It's always the most basic science that is there.

I think Kaplan goes a little bit more in depth, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on the type of person you are. It may be good because some of the background info helps you understand the basic concepts better. But then if you're one of those anal people who has to memorize every tidbit... or if you just can't deal with such overwhelming info, then it'll really get on your nerves that Kaplan will list out a bunch of different neurotransmitters and their functions when you basically only need to know one (acetylcholine).

I'd say:
If all the mcat subjects are relatively fresh in your mind EK will serve you perfectly.

If it has been a while since you took the classes then you probably would be better served with books that include more background info.

EK + AAMC material all the way. Have Kaplan as a resource when you need a reference for facts.

use EK for review of different subjects, but use KAPLAN for their practice tests. EK practice tests suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get one good book, and use it. They key is actually putting in the work on your own...I don't think it's necessary to spend a lot of money on fancy study tools and Kaplan courses. I didn't take a course and I got into my top choice school. Use the money you'd spend on a course for a trip to Cancun or something worthwhile...;)

I'm using Examkrackers books and Audio Osmosis, and taking a Kaplan class, and using the AAMC exams. I feel that I'm getting a good handle on most of the topics this way.

I like the EK Audio Osmosis because I set my CD player for repeat and I can go over and over and over a difficult section about 20 times until I finally realize what I don't understand about it. Then I sit down and study it. There are a couple mistakes in it: for instance, they say only one copy of a gene is expressed in any individual. Also, some of their mnemonics work for me.

I like the Kaplan class too.

Also I am going through the AAMC study guide for the MCAT at http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/topics.pdf .

Try to get stuff on eBay.

Not sure about the classes, but having used both examkrackers and kaplan books last year, I can say that the Examkrackers books are much better written and much more interesting (the Kaplan books are very dry). Also, kaplan feels the need to bombard you with a not insubstantial number of worthless equations, instead of focusing on the smaller number of equations that you are actually expected to memorize and be able to answer questions on without passage information.