Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atomic1000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum is now ruled by foreign med grads, but for those of you who are US med students or grads and have done Kaplan web prep/in center videos: how risky would it be to only do a video and skip lectures altogether? My school is pass/fail with no internal ranking, so I was wondering if just doing Kaplan videos+notes would provide enough info to pass the classes, even if that means barely.

Summary: do Kaplan videos + Notes cover sufficient class work to pass?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This forum is now ruled by foreign med grads, but for those of you who are US med students or grads and have done Kaplan web prep/in center videos: how risky would it be to only do a video and skip lectures altogether? My school is pass/fail with no internal ranking, so I was wondering if just doing Kaplan videos+notes would provide enough info to pass the classes, even if that means barely.

Summary: do Kaplan videos + Notes cover sufficient class work to pass?

Thanks.

Wait, are talking about skipping class and just studying using review material?

This would be a poor plan, both for School and Step I.

The whole concept is to learn the material in class (or on your own) and then review it prior to step I. Plenty of people skip lecture, but they're studying course texts or the syllabus and learning it at master level. You are talking about using supplemental materials that already assume an innate understanding of the material as your primary source.

I would suggest devoting your time now to mastering the material as it is presented, that way your review time will be more efficiently spent.

i would agree w/ depakote. don't skip and just use review materials. if i were seriously just to study from...say...FA for a class (endo/repro right now for example), i would completely fail my quizzes/tests. my profs go into so much little detail that isn't included in step 1 study material but that is tested upon in tests. maybe cut out a little of your class study time in the evening to add a little bit of step 1 study (by little i mean 30m-1h), but don't drop class studying all together.

Wait, are talking about skipping class and just studying using review material?

This would be a poor plan, both for School and Step I.

The whole concept is to learn the material in class (or on your own) and then review it prior to step I. Plenty of people skip lecture, but they're studying course texts or the syllabus and learning it at master level. You are talking about using supplemental materials that already assume an innate understanding of the material as your primary source.

I would suggest devoting your time now to mastering the material as it is presented, that way your review time will be more efficiently spent.

That's not the plan. I have a rhetorical question only. I know Kaplan is just for review, but their vidoes/lecture notes combos are supposed to be rather detailed.

I am sure you cant pass any class with first aid alone, and my question is: Can you pass a class - not ace it, but pass a class using (and knowing them cold) Kaplan videos and Kaplan lecture notes?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Risky job...The class materials might be different than Kaplan.

I've been burned studying from full texts (and not enough from the syllabus) b/c the professor emphasized something that they though was important that wasn't in the chapter I read.

Could you still pass, I'm not sure. It depends on if these amazing materials actually teach the concepts and don't just review them. But I still think you're probably doing yourself a disservice.