You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Kaplan's Medical School Insider
Started by DillonW09
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Who's going to tune in?
I signed up for it. Doesn't mean i HAVE to tune it but i probably will. should only be helpful!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see Kaplan's short presentation and raise them a couple thousand posts by LizzyM and Catalystik.
Haha soo true!
I'm watching right now. I got kicked out. I had to completely start over. It seemed like I was registering and now I'm back in. So pretend like you are just registering and maybe that'll help you get in Cloud 9.
Also, is anyone taking notes!? I missed the between about minutes 5-35 because my computer messed up and it took me a while to get back in. I'd love if someone could share with me.
Thanks in advance!
Also, is anyone taking notes!? I missed the between about minutes 5-35 because my computer messed up and it took me a while to get back in. I'd love if someone could share with me.
Thanks in advance!
Did anyone fraps it?
i don't know if they said the specific reason why, i'm not sure they had it.
they just used him/her as an example as hey you can have a stellar mcat/gpa and still not get in.
used that person as an example, that admissions isn't due just to high mcat and gpa, it takes much more
they just used him/her as an example as hey you can have a stellar mcat/gpa and still not get in.
used that person as an example, that admissions isn't due just to high mcat and gpa, it takes much more
here is a link to last years and i have watched it last year and i believe it's still relevant
http://www.kaptest.com/MCAT/Home/med-insider.html
they repeated last year but i haven't heard them mention it yet.
http://www.kaptest.com/MCAT/Home/med-insider.html
they repeated last year but i haven't heard them mention it yet.
Yea I understand that it was used to show that, but besides his amazing grade he had clinical experience, research, a decent ps im assuming. I'm just curious what he was lacking.i don't know if they said the specific reason why, i'm not sure they had it.
they just used him/her as an example as hey you can have a stellar mcat/gpa and still not get in.
used that person as an example, that admissions isn't due just to high mcat and gpa, it takes much more
You guys need to watch this, if you never have. I'm actually learning stuff 😵
Yea I understand that it was used to show that, but besides his amazing grade he had clinical experience, research, a decent ps im assuming. I'm just curious what he was lacking.
They said he was lacking passion
I'm watching right now. I got kicked out. I had to completely start over. It seemed like I was registering and now I'm back in. So pretend like you are just registering and maybe that'll help you get in Cloud 9.
Also, is anyone taking notes!? I missed the between about minutes 5-35 because my computer messed up and it took me a while to get back in. I'd love if someone could share with me.
Thanks in advance!
Thank you so much, I was able to catch the last hour and 20 minutes, but it seemed like all the good stuff was in the first 40 minutes dissecting the individual applications...if anyone recorded it please let me know! I'm going to watch last year's or 2010's to see if they did something similar
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea, I'm also watching 2010's panel, because I missed the first half. It's still really interesting.Thank you so much, I was able to catch the last hour and 20 minutes, but it seemed like all the good stuff was in the first 40 minutes dissecting the individual applications...if anyone recorded it please let me know! I'm going to watch last year's or 2010's to see if they did something similar
I was hoping for more talk about specific numbers, but they were very careful to keep that fluid. In the first part they explained what rolling admissions were and also when the best time to apply is. They also talked about replications and the differences in MD DO apps. They said that second applicant had great stats but nothing tied together, and you had no sense of who that person was or how much they wanted to be a doctor.
Can anyone clarify what a holistic review is though? Didn't quite get it all.
Can anyone clarify what a holistic review is though? Didn't quite get it all.
They said he was lacking passion
😱
They were reviewing applicants and giving comments on it? Damn it, i wish i didn't miss the first half.
Kaplan said the video will be uploaded in a few days, so we can all hope to see it soon.
I was hoping for more talk about specific numbers, but they were very careful to keep that fluid. In the first part they explained what rolling admissions were and also when the best time to apply is. They also talked about replications and the differences in MD DO apps. They said that second applicant had great stats but nothing tied together, and you had no sense of who that person was or how much they wanted to be a doctor.
Can anyone clarify what a holistic review is though? Didn't quite get it all.
When did they say the best time to apply is? And did they point out anything specifically different between MD and DO? Anything a reapplicant should focus on?
A holistic review is when they look at the overall picture and make their decision based on that...i.e. it's not a hard numbers formula. Some schools do use a hard number formula though. But a holistic review is basically a school's reason why someone with say a 3.2 and a 30 may get in over someone with a 3.5 and a 34...overall the first applicant was a stronger candidate in their eyes, ie their ECs, essay, personal mission in life, personality, interview, grades, family background all play a role.
It's like in English, if essays are scored holistically, they're looking at the overall content and clarity of the essay and what final impression it makes on the reader vs grading and counting off for each misspelled word, misplaced comma, etc.
Hopefully, that's good news! I'm not sure if they were, but it seemed like it since they kept talking about specific applicant files they showed and what the panelists' comments were on those files, so I was a bit lost at first since I didn't see that part.😱
They were reviewing applicants and giving comments on it? Damn it, i wish i didn't miss the first half.
Kaplan said the video will be uploaded in a few days, so we can all hope to see it soon.
When did they say the best time to apply is? And did they point out anything specifically different between MD and DO? Anything a reapplicant should focus on?
Hopefully, that's good news! I'm not sure if they were, but it seemed like it since they kept talking about specific applicant files they showed and what the panelists' comments were on those files, so I was a bit lost at first since I didn't see that part.
They said the earlier the better (like opening day!) and that quicker that you can land an interview the more of shot you have in that there will be more open slots, and that the later you apply the less or no chance it will have enough time to be reviewed (ex. UC Davis stops reviewing applications a whole month before the deadline). The did however caution against submitting a mediocre application just so it will be early, reapplicants who are reapplying because the application was missing something or was submitted late the previous year are looked on in a negative light due to the inability to critically plan things. The DO personal statement is shorter, and application reviewing is a bit different (not easier but different) than MD. They actually didn't talk to much about reapplicants, however I had the feeling that if you didn't get accepted because of lack of planning or you were missing something before that was critical, you will have some major explaining to do.
They didn't actually do an on air reviewing but they referred back to the apps at different point when talk about a specific topic ie ECs or something. I think they reviewed them before the show and spoke about them periodically.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 384