Kaplan's review book???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgem2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone used Kaplan's review book? I don't have a sience background, but I was thinking of studying Kaplan's book and taking the MCAT this spring. Is it detailed enough that I can learn what I need to know? Or should I take the word "review" to heart.

Members don't see this ad.

rgem2005 said:
Hi, has anyone used Kaplan's review book? I don't have a sience background, but I was thinking of studying Kaplan's book and taking the MCAT this spring. Is it detailed enough that I can learn what I need to know? Or should I take the word "review" to heart.
The Kaplan book is intended for review purposes only. I would strongly urge you to take the introductory classes in chemistry, biology, and physics before making a serious attempt at the MCAT. On the MCAT, each question has four possible answers and here's a general rule: one answer will be obviously wrong to you if you've gone to school and studied science, one answer will be obviously wrong to you if you've taken the prerequisite class and studied, two answers will be so close that it requires active reading skills as well as detailed knowledge of the prerequisite class to distinguish the right from the wrong answer. Also bear in mind that all U.S. medical schools require the prerequisite class credits prior to matriculation. Add onto this the extreme time pressure of the exam and the need for careful, accurate reading it will likely be a disaster if you take the MCAT right now.

rgem2005: I have been an instructor with Kaplan for several years, and I completely agree with Scottish Chap's advice. It is foolish to take the MCAT before you take all four pre-req courses. Students sometimes do it anyway, with the thought that they will simply re-take the test if the first attempt goes poorly, as it inevitably does in this context. I advise against doing this, because your first low MCAT score will remain on your record permanently. It isn't expunged after seven years like even a bankruptcy would be; I still have my old score from April 1996 on my record even though I retook the test in Aug. 2004 and nearly ten years have passed.

If you want to gauge your current level of preparation, you can buy a practice test from the AAMC, or you can go to one of the test drives that Kaplan and TPR conduct. These test drives are free or at minimal cost through your local center or university, but be forewarned that the companies will actively try to recruit you as a student if you take their test drive. Even if you think you might want to use an MCAT test prep course to prepare, you should still wait to finish the pre-reqs (or at least be in the middle of the second semester of them) before taking the prep course.

If you (or any of you other nontrads getting ready to take the MCAT) have any questions about how to go about preparing for the test, you can also visit our SDN MCAT Study Questions Q & A subforum, located in the main MCAT forum. We have several volunteers who are test prep course instructors and have scored highly on the MCAT, and who are available to answer questions for current students getting ready to take the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to have those classes the pre-reqs BEFORE you take the MCAT..that is what those classes are intended for, to prepare you for the MCAT. You also need those classes to gain admittance to medical school.

Besides, why waste the money?

efex101 said:
Here is the prime example of the numbers issues for non-trads...

I have to admit that it floors me that this issue keeps coming up again and again. I don't understand why so many non-trads want to take the test cold, missing pre-reqs, or otherwise inadequately prepared. I realize that people feel like they want to get going as fast as possible because they are already "behind" where the younger students are. But to anyone thinking this way, if you're already 30 or 35 or 40, taking one more year of solid academic preparation isn't really going to make much difference in the whole scheme of your life, but it could do wonders for improving your competitiveness as an applicant.

Also, if they think that taking one more year to study is a lot...wait until they hit medical school...they are in for a rude awakening....well there is no easy way out you have to put in the time period...oh well more spots for the well qualified ones he he.