KCOM 3rd and 4th years (in Utah?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tphdrum

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can current or previous KCOM students give me some input as to how easy or difficult it is to be assigned your desired rotation spot for years 3 and 4? I am from Utah and I would be very interested in KCOM if I knew I had an excellent shot of returning to Utah for years 3 and 4.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, getting Utah is not too difficult. It is popular, but most still get their top choice for rotations.

There are around 12-18 spots each year in Utah and relatively easy to match to. I enjoyed my Utah rotations and have no regrets about going there for clinicals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait...Utah has spots reserved for KCOM students for years 3 & 4?? Why the hell didn't I find this out last year? Damn.

Sorry! Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I'm currently doing 3rd year in Utah. For the most part, if you're not picky about where in Utah you do your rotations, you should be able to get in. That's at least how it's been the last few years. If your dead set on a particular city, like Provo for instance, your chances won't be as good, but still pretty good. In Provo, there where 5 spots this last year and 6 applied for it so one didn't get it. He could have went to the SLC region if he wanted to, but he chose not to. So, your chances will be pretty good, but you have realize there's always the possibility that you may not get into Utah for your year. You have to keep an open mind. Good luck!

Do to the overwhelmingly overrepresented Mormon population that is present in medical schools now, the chances get much slimmer each year. My class is abour 20-25% Mormon at least, and many are from Utah.

Do to the overwhelmingly overrepresented Mormon population that is present in medical schools now, the chances get much slimmer each year. My class is abour 20-25% Mormon at least, and many are from Utah.

I wasn't aware that Des Moines has spots in Utah. Kirksville has an even larger population of Mormons, but as mentioned earlier 90+% of them get their spots, more Mormons actually go elsewhere than Utah for their rotations than actually go "back" to Utah.

We don't have any spots in Utah...He doesn't know what he's talking about. DMU's spots are all trying to return to Iowa.