KCOM Housing Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulieAnne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to KCOM!
biggrin.gif
and now i need a place to live...
I am planning to make a trip out to Kirksville this spring to find an appartment to move into in August. Can anyone tell me when is a good time to spend a few days in K'ville to look at places? I dont want to be there when appartments are not yet being shown. I would like to plan this soorner rather than later (May is ideal) as I am planning to be away for a month, mid june-mid july. Are appartments being shown in May? Does anyone know who I can contact for appartment searches? I have spoken to a woman in admissions who said info will be sent to me in April, but in trying to plan this trip I want to see if I can start this search sooner.
also:
any advice on places to live or to avoid?
Thanks so much,
Julie

[This message has been edited by JulieAnne (edited 02-26-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

Julie,
Congratulations on being accepted to KCOM. It is a great school, I think you will be really happy here. Finding housing in Kirksville does take a little work. Pretty soon the new KCOM student government site will be up and running and should have some nice housing information on it. Pesonally, I did not find the information that admissions sent out on housing to be very helpful but luckily found a place on the day I interviewed so I might not have paid a lot of attention to the paper work that admissions sent out. I know that sometime this spring they will send you the address to the student governement website along with how to use the information.

You can also get information at www.kcomstudents.org, the is a bulletin board that is open to anyone and is a good source to get info from KCOM students. It is not run by the school therefore none of the answers you get are official ansers but they are usually pretty good ones.

I would just recomend that you plan several days and maybe even several trips to Kirksville to find a place to live, especially if you have a pet. Finding housing in Kirksville if you have a pet can be pretty difficult.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Well Julie Anne...first, let me congratulate and welcome you to KCOM!! Below is some housing information that I posted only moments ago in "Everyone" & "MedStudents (Osteopathic)". I hope this helps...please feel free to e-mail me or Carrie [HskerMedic] for any questions you may have!

For those of you admitted and planning to attend KCOM. I have some housing information for you. First, if you are thinking of the school's housing...I don't live there; but know of several who are quite content with the accomodations. If you wish, I can put you in touch with a couple of students who do live there. This way, you can get the inside poop!
On a similar note, there is inexpensive housing available through Atlas House. I have Word copies of much of their housing information and would be happy to supply it to anyone who wants a copy. Again, I can put you touch with a person or two who lives there for the inside story.
Renting, buying at large...first, let me warn you...DO NOT rent/buy properties here w/o seeing it IN-PERSON! While there is some very nice and inexpensive rental property here, there are also places not fit for human habitation! The preponderance of the rentals are directed at the multitude of 18~20 year old undergrads here at Truman State.

I had very positive experiences with three people in particular when searching for my current residence: Martha Johnson, Show Me Realty; Larry ????, Century 21 and Greg Guffy, Guffy Enterprises. Also, in my opinion, the BEST complex to rent in is the Woodwinds. It a med-sized group of owner-condos with about 50+% KCOM students living here. The buildings are arranged such that we have a 'park-like' area shielded by the facilities and a pool in the middle. We're only 3-miles from the school and there is NO traffic to be concerned with here in K'Ville.

Just some info for you folks coming to KCOM

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Dave and Carrie!
I connected with a few realtors and will be making the trip to Kirksville to check out appartments later this month.
I really appreciate your advice.
Julie

Also, to add to the above suggestions, I quickly learned that it was good to know the names of the some of the places you were interested in. Here are some of the names that I know are popular with a lot of students besides Woodwinds and student apartments(both which are nice). A lot of people live in a place named "med row" located on Pierce St. as the name implies it is all med students and is very close to campus and is supposed to be nice. Another popular area is located on streets named after pieces on a chess board (King Rd, Queen, bishop etc.) they are very nice, they are larger and usually families or people that have roommates go there.
I found that doing a "drive-by" was a good way to save yourself time and to quickly remove from your list the scary places.
It's not the easiest to find a place you like, but if you know where to look it's a lot easier. I know that Heritage House deals with quite a few nice places. Good Luck and happy hunting.