KCOM Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberryfield

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just interviewed there yesterday and looooved it! I am just hoping that some kind folks out there can help me with some questions I have thought of since having the opportunity to ask them on campus.

It would be great to have some responses from current or former students (since they know first-hand) but any input would be great!

What is the usual format for exams? How often are exams given?

If you really interested in going to a specific region (like AZ for me) for your 3rd and 4th yrs, is it pretty certain that you will be able to go there? I guess I just don't want to get my hopes up thinking that if I get in at KCOM, that I'll be for sure back in AZ for my 3rd and 4th yrs.

I know since they will have a DO class out in AZ for 2007, they are working hard at getting some more affiliations out here in AZ... so I'm hoping... :rolleyes:

Also, did anyone go on the South Africa trip this year? :oops: I was reading about it and it sounds so amazing!

Thanks for your help!
;)

Members don't see this ad.

strawberryfield said:
I just interviewed there yesterday and looooved it! I am just hoping that some kind folks out there can help me with some questions I have thought of since having the opportunity to ask them on campus.

It would be great to have some responses from current or former students (since they know first-hand) but any input would be great!

What is the usual format for exams? How often are exams given?

If you really interested in going to a specific region (like AZ for me) for your 3rd and 4th yrs, is it pretty certain that you will be able to go there? I guess I just don't want to get my hopes up thinking that if I get in at KCOM, that I'll be for sure back in AZ for my 3rd and 4th yrs.

I know since they will have a DO class out in AZ for 2007, they are working hard at getting some more affiliations out here in AZ... so I'm hoping... :rolleyes:

Also, did anyone go on the South Africa trip this year? :oops: I was reading about it and it sounds so amazing!

Thanks for your help!
;)

Hi! Congrats on getting an interview at KCOM! I'm glad you enjoyed the time you spent there. I'm currently a 2nd year student and hopefully my answers help you some. As for our exams, they are 95% multiple choice -- you will have your anatomy lab finals, histo lab and image finals as fill-in-the-blank, and practical exams for OTM and DO are, well, done in front of a faculty member. Exam days vary (ie, we don't have exams EVERY Monday for all classes or something to that effect), but there are will be a week in almost every quarter that you have 3 written exams and a practical, to be followed by 1-2 exams the next week. It's doable, don't let it scare you.

As for 3rd/4th year rotations, the site assignments are purely done by a lottery system ranking your top 6 site choices. Most people get into one of their top 3 choices. When I get back from turkey break, our class will be doing "the match" for those sites, so we'll see what happens. My friends from last year pretty much ended up where they wanted to be, and besides, you can trade with a classmate too.

I know that there are a couple of my classmates who went to S. Africa this past summer that can relay their experiences to you. They'll come out once they run out of stuff to do during break. =)

Good luck with the rest of the application process!

-N

Members don't see this ad :)
Most get their 1st choice of sites. Tests are like chemo--you just accept it and get used to it, even though it sucks.

I love KCOM.

good luck

thanks guys! I'm really excited at the prospect of getting in at KCOM!
:D :D :D

You probably should know by today, or at least next week. I don't know if the selection committee meets this week because of the holiday. Good luck.

strawberryfield said:
They called this morning!
I got accepted!!!
:D :D :D :D

Congradulations!!! That rocks... I got the call today too. I'm in, Im in... :D I really loved the school, especially because of the people. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful. I am really excited!!! It will be a bit of an adjustment though since I am from the Phoenix area too... Big city to small town, but I think that can be an advantage.

Congradulations.... I am really happy for both of us! :) :) :)

mrdarthvader said:
Congradulations!!! That rocks... I got the call today too. I'm in, Im in... :D I really loved the school, especially because of the people. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful. I am really excited!!! It will be a bit of an adjustment though since I am from the Phoenix area too... Big city to small town, but I think that can be an advantage.

Congradulations.... I am really happy for both of us! :) :) :)

Yay! :D :D :D

strawberryfield said:

Congratulations on your acceptance! I think the exam question was pretty much answered already so I'll skip that. I went on the South Africa mission trip last year and it was an awesome experience. Last year, we had some issues getting the school to support us because it was such a new idea. It was basically a student-organized, self-funded operation. We received a lot of support from individuals and some of the Student Interest Groups, but most of the support came from each person writing letters and raising money themselves.

In South Africa, teams of student physicians were sent out into the rural and underserved communities in Atlantis to perform routine well-child check ups for children from ages 3 to about 10 years that did not have ready access to physician care. We screened them for acute and chronic illness and provided them with referrals when necessary. There are plans for returning this summer and we hope to make this an annual event. Having already gone once and presented our work to the University, we are finding more support from the University community and the mission promises to be an excellent opportunity for future DO students at KCOM.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any others, please feel free to drop me a message. Congratulations again on your acceptance!

Andy
KCOM 2008

Can you tell me more about the KCOM interview? I have one next week...my first.....I am nervous/excited.....Were they intimidating or accomodating? Friendly? Did you feel welcome and at home? Give me details :)