Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

KCOM students and others

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Toran, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Toran

Toran Senior Member

Anyone seen this? It has me worried about the future of KCOM, and at this point I don't want to be worried about the school that I am attending.

http://www.geocities.com/kcomwatch/

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drewdo

drewdo Senior Member

Looks like there is a lot of unrest with recent events at KCOM. I know UHS is having a tumultuous time with its new curriculum changes too. I used to be a faculty member at a small liberal arts college in Minnesota and I found that they too have many unhappy students and faculty, particularly when they try making curriculum changes. When I first started as a faculty member, I was quite surprised at the politics of academia and it's my perception that no school is free from political entanglements. I believe, however, that you are able to trust the system. Faculty and students that speak up and make themselves heard might alarm prospective students and might make the problems look exaggerated - but hopefully it's just part of an effective democratic process that helps move the school forward. The bottom line is their pass rate on the boards - no school wants to compromise their record (Kirksville has one of the best). I can't make a suggestion about your attendance there or anywhere else, but I can recommend that you take comfort that you will still get a good education at KCOM.

------------------
    Drewdo

4. Toran

Toran Senior Member

Oh, come on... is that all I am gonna get? One reply....?!

Toran

5. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

Toran,
    You might get more information, if that is what you are looking for, at www.kcomstudents.org.

In short I wouldn't be worried about the future of KCOM. Sorry, I don't really have time to write much now.

------------------
    Carrie
    MSII KCOM

6. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Agreed...I second what Carrie posted. Yes, there were some bugs in the new curriculum...would you expect otherwise? However, I feel the school is trying to work with us to ameliorate the situation.

------------------
    David W. Kelley, MS-2
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!