KCOM vs. RVUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

where would you go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doctor du

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I have narrowed it done to these two schools but can not decide between them. Anyone have any thoughts? (Have acceptances to both)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's see here. Would I pick the oldest and possibly most established DO school or one of the newest DO schools which also happens to be for-profit and all the stigma that goes with that?

Hmmm

This is a no brainier. KCOM is one of the best, most respected, successful DO schools in the nation. KCOM is a Mercedes, RVU is a Chevy.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a no brainier. KCOM is one of the best, most respected, successful DO schools in the nation. KCOM is a Mercedes, RVU is a Chevy.

Yeah...but there are some decent Chevys out there

And to answer the question, KCOM all the way.

Indeed.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Pretty sure almost everyone (including me) will tell you KCOM for many reasons varying on each person.

Yes there are and some people even prefer Chevys. But it doesn't change the fact that KCOM is unanimously considered one of the best by everyone.

I imagine there are very few people that can afford a Mercedes will prefer a Chevy in the same price range given the chance to test drive both.

:thumbup:

However... the fact that the OP is even comparing the two suggests to me that s/he was highly impressed with RVU and perhaps less than enamored by KCOM.

However... the fact that the OP is even comparing the two suggests to me that s/he was highly impressed with RVU and perhaps less than enamored by KCOM.

Probably because Kirksville is in the middle of nowhere. Other than that, KCOM is flawless.

I am a current RVU student. I would look very VERY closely at both schools and their policies before picking a school. Additionally, KCOM actually HAS solid rotations and residencies, where RVU has to fight with CU for rotation sites, and has NO actual residency slots (it as approved slots, NOT funded, I was told mis-information by the program director for the approved slots)... Sooo, while I am at RVU because of it being the best spot for me, if you don't have a family here, or other reasons to tie you here, I would go to KCOM...

I am a current RVU student. I would look very VERY closely at both schools and their policies before picking a school. Additionally, KCOM actually HAS solid rotations and residencies, where RVU has to fight with CU for rotation sites, and has NO actual residency slots (it as approved slots, NOT funded, I was told mis-information by the program director for the approved slots)... Sooo, while I am at RVU because of it being the best spot for me, if you don't have a family here, or other reasons to tie you here, I would go to KCOM...

Out of the mouth of a student of RVU him/herself!

yes I was very impressed by rv and actually kcom as well--- i feel both will provide an excellent education....i just want to make the best choice for my wife and kids--- i have fam in CO and like their program yet kcom has a proven track record and residences....both have pros/cons so I just wanted to get sdn perspective...thank you!

yes I was very impressed by rv and actually kcom as well--- i feel both will provide an excellent education....i just want to make the best choice for my wife and kids--- i have fam in CO and like their program yet kcom has a proven track record and residences....both have pros/cons so I just wanted to get sdn perspective...thank you!

While I feel KCOM/Kirksville provides a better environment for my wife/child than any other school I interviewed at (I did not interview at RVU), one thing that is weighing largely on our decision to attend KCOM is the Utah rotation sites and the possibility of coming back to be close to family. I can completely understand the desire to be closer to family. I just felt like KCOM really accommodated people with family needs and took family into consideration more than other places (things like the SAA, the nursing room on campus, and giving family access to the gym and pool are just a few things I can think of).

On the other hand I have a friend whose husband is at RVU and I know she's made VERY good friends with several other med student wives and it's been a great place for them (while being GROSSLY more expensive to live there).

As far as where you live currently, if you can get rotations done there, RVU will let you, and actually encourage you to do so, there is a lot of people who would like to rotate in Denver who won't be able to, and anyone who 'leaves' the area to go back home, helps others get their first choices as well. I commented to the family aspect in the RVU thread, so I will not duplicate that info, but if family is your main concern, RVU should be at the top of your list... If rotations, etc are, then it should be KCOM... As to Abolt's comment, I only speak the truth, KCOM has things RVU does not, why? Because there haven't been any new funded residency slots in 20yrs... So it is the same deficit all new schools will have unless they find private funding, or we convince the feds to fund more spaces... While unfortunate, it is what it is... Being that RVU is for profit, maybe they can figure out a way to privately fund their own residency slots... we'll see...