KCU vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clicka218

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was recently accepted to KCU-KC and Campbell and I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Also, if anyone who currently goes to KCU-KC would like to speak on the environment and what the campus was like that would be really helpful as I was unable to visit due to COVID! Any input/advice would be very helpful!

KCU-KC

Pros:
  • Older school, more name recognition
  • Different kind of tracks that allow you the opportunity to receive a certificate at the end
  • in a city
Cons:
  • Heard it was a more competitive environment
  • Was unable to see campus/facilities due to COVID-19

Campbell

Pros:
  • Great match list and board scores
  • Seemed like a friendly environment
Cons:
  • Located in the middle of nowhere
  • newer school
  • no separate tracks or dual degrees besides JD available

Members don't see this ad.

can't speak for CUSOM, but I'm a second year student at kcu. here's what I can tell you -

* name recognition means little to nothing at DO schools, except for residencies in the general vicinity. people in kansas city don't even know what kcu is. I tell people where I go and 95% of the time they respond with "KU?".

* the class I'm in is not what I would call competitive. there are gunners here and there, but most people are nice/helpful/etc. classes can be difficult but the curve lets the large majority pass, even with a tenuous at best understanding of the subject. 6-8% curves are not uncommon, meaning you can pass the class with a low D average on exams. I think the difficultly of kcu is overblown on SDN, med school is just hard.

* residency matches at DO schools tend to be the same-ish. there are some unique exceptions, but most of the schools fit that trend. people get all worked up on SDN every year about school-specific match lists, but by and large they are all similar. there's a reason why even brand new DO schools put out similarly impressive matches - it's less about the school and more about the applicant at this level.

from what you've said about CUSOM, I would choose kcu, but that will have to be a gut decision that you make. medical school is tough, doing it in the middle of nowhere sounds even tougher. I almost did that with western univ. and I'm glad I went to a school with somewhat of a city surrounding it. there are plenty of things about kcu that I don't like, but they are giving me a good education.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding CUSOM, I have friends who are students there and feel supported. They enjoy it, and for a city environment, the Triangle area (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) is around 40-60 minutes away. There is a lot to do in that area, and living in a smaller area makes it easier to study without much distractions. But ultimately, these decisions have as much to do with your gut as they do with logic. Both KCU and CUSOM are great schools, and congratulations on your choices :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Thank you! Can I ask why you would have went with CUSOM?
100% placement rate every year so far since the inaugural class graduted.
Match list is stronger than KCU if you ask me. Check it out yourself.
Nice GME development but KCU has that too.
From what I've heard KCU curriculum is super hard that pushes me away a little.
Research availability!
Personally would want to end up in the East coast for residency rather than the Midwest, so I think I'd have a better chance of doing that there.

100% placement rate every year so far since the inaugural class graduted.
Match list is stronger than KCU if you ask me. Check it out yourself.
Nice GME development but KCU has that too.
From what I've heard KCU curriculum is super hard that pushes me away a little.
Research availability!
Personally would want to end up in the East coast for residency rather than the Midwest, so I think I'd have a better chance of doing that there.
Would you still go CUSOM? Even if you wanted to match in the west coast?

Would you still go CUSOM? Even if you wanted to match in the west coast?
Neither KCU or CUSOM will have an impact on whether you match in the west coast or not. Matching west coast is hard for anyone.

So yes, I would and make the best of what I have.

But there is no wrong choice here though.

Reactions: 1 user