KCU-Joplin vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangelily1999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding between these two great schools. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts. KCU deposit is due 12/21. I am also interviewing at WVSOM in January.

KCU-Joplin

Pros:

- H/P/F grading, non-mandatory attendance

- minimum amount of OMM

- most exams on Fridays

- KCU alumni network/legacy as an OG DO school

-low cost of living, nice mid-size town (50,000), some nature/trails etc around which is important to me

-merit-based rotation selection, 2 hospitals right near campus KCU-Joplin students get preference rotating at, or can rotate in 7 other states include big hospitals in Denver (have always wanted to live in Colorado lol)

-cheaper, ($53,706), provides iPad, complimentary Joplin-YMCA membership

-strong match rates & placements, own GME

Cons:
-farther from home (I'm from VA), closest airport is ~1hr, minimal direct flights home
-scared of tornados lol
-less people matching back to VA/East Coast I feel like
-board scores dropped (89% this year)

CUSOM

Pros:
-closer to home (4hr drive), my friend who is an M2 comes home almost once a month

-non-mandatory lecture

-rotations within NC, but would prob still need to move and it's not merit-based, so not sure if this is a pro or con

-strong match rates, especially to VA and other East Coast states, own GME

-exam schedule is not terrible: every 2-3 weeks, quizzes every Friday; 8-9 week blocks with 1 week break in between

-awesome student run clinic program --> M2's help run the clinic, do patient scheduling, etc

-higher COMLEX scores (96% this year), 97% first time USMLE pass rate

-near Raleigh, Durham, research triangle (UNC, Duke, Wake)

-from what I've gathered, better research opportunities

Cons:
- graded curriculum
- more rural town, most students live 20min-1hr away which makes me worried the student body isn't as close? idk
- more expensive ($59,000), no iPad :(
-newer school

Summary: I have not visited either school. I will try to visit CUSOM this week. My gut honestly leans to KCU especially bc P/F and school has a stronger history, but also CUSOM is an easy 4hr drive away from family & friends, and I’ve heard mostly great things.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE

Members don't see this ad.

Up to you. A 4 hr drive one way is not the easiest, especially if you have had a long week. If you are close with the friend who is an MS2, that is a nice plus for them to show you the ropes and provide specific advice as you progress through school.