This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TYJC16

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would love some opinions on my situation. I was super fortunate to be accepted into 5 medical programs (4 DO and 1 MD). My top choices right now are KCU and LCOM at the University of Vermont (both are super incredible, and I'm so excited to have the option to even choose!). My application, excluding my MCAT, is fairly strong. I have 1000+ hours of clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering and have a 3.9 science GPA. I also am URM so that likely contributed to my success too.

Keeping that all in mind, I am hesitant to accept the MD offer (I got accepted off of the WL) because of my lower 500 MCAT. I already know that I'll be starting at the bottom, and likely will struggle a lot more than my classmates. Noting that at LCOM the average MCAT is 513 and KCU is 507. Ultimately, I'm afraid of failing at LCOM and not graduating. My parents really want me to go to KCU because they feel that I'll be more comfortable there and do better, but I'm worried that I'll regret not going for the MD. I should also mention that I'm not interested in a competitive specialty - probably family medicine so that doesn't affect my decision.

If anyone has any insight into this, I would really appreciate it (as neither of my parents are in medicine so I feel a bit alone in this decision-making process!).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I would love some opinions on my situation. I was super fortunate to be accepted into 5 medical programs (4 DO and 1 MD). My top choices right now are KCU and LCOM (both are super incredible, and I'm so excited to have the option to even choose!). My application, excluding my MCAT, is fairly strong. I have 1000+ hours of clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering and have a 3.89 science GPA. I also am URM and from a "lucky state," so that contributed to my success too.

Keeping that all in mind, I am hesitant to accept the MD offer (I got accepted off of the WL) because of my low 500 MCAT. I already know that I'll be starting at the bottom, and likely will struggle a lot more than my classmates. Noting that at LCOM the average MCAT is 513 and KCU is 507. Ultimately, I'm afraid of failing at LCOM and having no options. My parents really want me to go to KCU because they feel that I'll be the most comfortable there, which I know is probably the honest truth, but I'm worried that I'll regret not going for the MD. I should also mention that I'm not interested in a competitive specialty - probably family medicine so that doesn't affect my decision.

If anyone has any insight into this, I would really appreciate it (as neither of my parents are in medicine so I feel a bit alone in this decision-making process!).
The University of Vermont is the LCOM you are referring to correct? If that is true I say go to LCOM because it's an MD and although you want FM that can change. In regard to your MCAT, you will have way more resources at most MD schools than DO school if you start to struggle and need help. My DO school's academic advising office is like 3 people, University of Vermont most likely has a whole department that can help you if you struggle. KCU is an alright DO school but Vermont will give you way more resources to do well and thrive.

Reactions: 1 users
The University of Vermont is the LCOM you are referring to correct? If that is true I say go to LCOM because it's an MD and although you want FM that can change. In regard to your MCAT, you will have way more resources at most MD schools than DO school if you start to struggle and need help. My DO school's academic advising office is like 3 people, University of Vermont most likely has a whole department that can help you if you struggle. KCU is an alright DO school but Vermont will give you way more resources to do well and thrive.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment!! I really appreciate hearing your thoughts and will take all of that into consideration :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to be attending KCU, but I'd still say your worries about going MD don't make a lot of sense. For one, they wouldn't have taken you if they didn't think you'd be successful. Two, MD and DO programs learn the same stuff. There's no reason to think you'd fail MD but not DO. I think you'll be fine at either. Average MCATs of schools are based on what they can attract and matriculate, not how difficult their programs are. My opinion is if your goal is to match FM anyway, then you can't really go wrong. Go wherever you'd be happiest and most comfortable. Going MD is safer since if you change your mind and want something more competitive, you'll have more opportunities, but if you know for sure you're going FM, KCU will get you there easily.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools won't want you to fail out. Unlike undergrad, they supply you with the necessary resources if you're struggling. They accepted you because they know you're likely to succeed at their school. I'd suggest Vermont because it closes fewer doors if you end up changing routes and pursuing something more competitive.

Just because you have an MCAT lower than their median doesn't mean you're "starting at the bottom." Work on the self-confidence!!!

Reactions: 1 users
A student could struggle at any medical school, so don't let that stop you from attending a specific institution. I would suggest going to LCOM because of the possibility of less hassle down the road. Keep your head up and perform the best you can during your pre-clinical years/boards.

You had a 3.9 GPA, which shows that you can do the academic coursework. Don't worry about your MCAT score. No-one will ever think about it again once you start school. Take the MD acceptance, unless you have strong personal reasons to go to one of the other schools

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback! Reading too much into SDN posts sometimes can make you second guess yourself, so I appreciate all the great points - I'll have to share them with my family when deciding. Thank you again!!

Lots of people have already given great advice, and I want to echo that. Vermont accepted you for a reason and believes you can succeed at their institution. They are a solid MD program and would offer you many opportunities and resources to help you succeed as a future medical doctor. I'd recommend going there in your situation.

No offense to KCU, but LCOM is an absolutely amazing school and in a completely different tier. You have a 3.9+ science GPA, that's amazing and shows how strong of a student you are.
Unless there's a huge price difference or you would much much rather live in Kansas City, I can't imagine not picking LCOM.