KCU vs NSU-KPCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RinShanKaiHo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been recently accepted to both KCU-KC and Nova KPCOM.
My interview at KCU was in Joplin, so I have zero knowledge of the facilities at KC.
I am trying to decide between the two schools to put deposit (both 1000$+ I think
I am waiting on an MD school which does non-rolling admissions so I won't hear back until March. I definitely need to put a deposit to secure my spot.

I am an international student, so in order to receive intern and residency training in the US, I will need to be placed into a ACGME residency that sponsors H1b visa, which means mostly university hospitals instead of community programs. Thus my primary goal during med school is to get placed into a university program. My current interest of specialty is PM&R and maybe anesthesiology.

Let me list a few pros and cons of each school, and please correct me if I am mistaken

NSU KPCOM:
Pro:
Florida,very beautiful campus
Clinical Rotation
Real research I was really impressed by the chronic fatigue disease research they do at NSU, Dr, Klimas is definitely a top notch researcher to work with, and she's been cited for 10k+ times.
They have the research fellow, which I really like, but only 2/yr
Good rotation sites, Broward Health has a good reputation among current students
Donation from Patel, however most of that money is probably not going to the current program
Match list: Very solid matches
International outreaches, as an international student I like that they care about what's happening outside of the US

Cons:
Relatively expensive (not the major concern as I am not taking loans)
new MD college... Some politics behind it... Not going to say it here...
Study space(questionable?) heard that students use cafeteria as study space as the library is often crowded. But I have been to the University Library, which I think has enough space for everyone and Kuchka's mom.
I honestly do not know how the new MD program will change the current situation. They are planning to move Plantation general to campus as the teaching hospital of the MD college. Honestly I doubt if the DO program will benefit from this move at all. I am not sure if they are planning to set up GME at that hospital.
Curriculum: It seems the school is not excited about their students taking USMLE, which does not make sense due to the merger.
Mandatory 4th year rural

KCU-KC
Pros:
Lower cost
Longer history, alumni network
Curriculum, I like their curriculum that visits all the systems thrice.
Campus:I did like the Joplin campus a lot... Just I didn't visit KC, I would like some comments on the KC campus...
Flexibility of scheduling in 4th year
Access to some research, as there are other MD schools in KC.
Match list, impressive matches to Mayo, JHU, etc

Cons:
No time for research during M1 summer (what I heard? Can anyone confirm?)
Haven't visit campus...
Preceptor based rotations? I wonder if it is the same for NSU, not sure about this...
No research fellowship, I am not quite sure about the anatomy fellowship and I haven't talked to the faculty at KC campus about it...

Please provide me with advice or opinions on where I should put my deposit, especially comments about KC campus, and the clinical education at KCU. I would like to choose a school that offers me the most resources for me to match to an ACGME university hospital. A little unfortunate as I wanted Joplin after interview but did not get in there... Liked Joplin's access to Freeman and almost no competition from other med students.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: