KCU vs. PNWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCU vs. PNWU

• KCU

• PNWU

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cycling_Doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm having a difficult time deciding which school I wish to attend so I was hoping I could get some input from others that are/were in my position.

I'm interested in KCU for the obvious reasons: Well-established, research opportunities, solid rotations and a great curriculum. I know that attending KCU would set me up to become a great physician. Also, I really enjoyed my interview and felt like the school really works hard to support it's students. The only issue I have is the location; I don't care for cities and my family and significant other all live on the west coast.

On the flip side, I plan on working in the pacific northwest so PNWU's location is great for me and it would only be a 3 hour drive to see my girlfriend at Washington State. Also, I know the city of Yakima would fit me much better than KC. My concerns are a lack of research opportunities, issues that come with attending a newer school and the potential sketchiness of PNWU's rotations.

I guess my question is, what would you guys do in my situation? I'm leaning towards PNWU, but I don't know if I could pass up an acceptance at KCU. Thanks for your help everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm having a difficult time deciding which school I wish to attend so I was hoping I could get some input from others that are/were in my position.

I'm interested in KCU for the obvious reasons: Well-established, research opportunities, solid rotations and a great curriculum. I know that attending KCU would set me up to become a great physician. Also, I really enjoyed my interview and felt like the school really works hard to support it's students. The only issue I have is the location; I don't care for cities and my family and significant other all live on the west coast.

On the flip side, I plan on working in the pacific northwest so PNWU's location is great for me and it would only be a 3 hour drive to see my girlfriend at Washington State. Also, I know the city of Yakima would fit me much better than KC. My concerns are a lack of research opportunities, issues that come with attending a newer school and the potential sketchiness of PNWU's rotations.

I guess my question is, what would you guys do in my situation? I'm leaning towards PNWU, but I don't know if I could pass up an acceptance at KCU. Thanks for your help everyone!

PNWU for sure.

The whole research thing is blown outta proportion here, even though KCU has some great research, it's extremely difficulty to partake in any while you are in your preclinical courses and so most will end up doing research 3rd and 4th year at whatever site they rotate at. And PNWU is doing some strong research already (http://www.pnwu.edu/inside-pnwu/departments/osa/scholarly-activity/publications/) so that should not be a big worry.

Having a good support system nearby can really make or break you in terms of succeeding. And since it seems like you don't even like cities or urban areas then I wouldn't bother forcing myself to go to a school that is without a doubt in an urban area.

The school so far has been doing great with its COMLEX performance as well. I'd def go to PNWU based on what information you have provided.

Reactions: 1 user
PNWU for sure.

The whole research thing is blown outta proportion here, even though KCU has some great research, it's extremely difficulty to partake in any while you are in your preclinical courses and so most will end up doing research 3rd and 4th year at whatever site they rotate at. And PNWU is doing some strong research already (http://www.pnwu.edu/inside-pnwu/departments/osa/scholarly-activity/publications/) so that should not be a big worry.

Having a good support system nearby can really make or break you in terms of succeeding. And since it seems like you don't even like cities or urban areas then I wouldn't bother forcing myself to go to a school that is without a doubt in an urban area.

The school so far has been doing great with its COMLEX performance as well. I'd def go to PNWU based on what information you have provided.
Thanks AlteredScale, I thought after getting accepted I could stop with the application freakout, but I quickly moved into the "Am I making the wrong decision?!?!" freakout haha

But seriously, I really appreciate your help.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks AlteredScale, I thought after getting accepted I could stop with the application freakout, but I quickly moved into the "Am I making the wrong decision?!?!" freakout haha

But seriously, I really appreciate your help.

Choices are hard but its a good choice to have! Glad to help!

KCU isn't Harvard. Don't get me wrong it's one of the best osteopathic schools but if you rather be at pnw go there.

PNWU for you, bro. Family support trumps everything.

I initially voted KCU because I was just evaluating those schools alone. Then I actually read your post, and changed my vote to PNWU. DO school is DO school. If someone was to graph a bell-curve on DO school quality, it would be a narrow narrow curve relative to an MD quality curve. Essentially, the differences between the schools are negligible relative to the benefits of family support, fit, etc.

Reactions: 2 users