KCU vs Western vs Touro Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latransplant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basic info about myself! Family lives in Minnesota and I'm pending outcomes from the U (will hear 12/9), but in the meantime am considering these DO schools. I have lived in SoCal/LA for 7 years now and would consider it home but feel like medical school would be the last chance to spend time around my parents. I think I would be happy with all but was hoping to gain generalized consensus on my options because I've been struggling. I know that all three programs are great and are P/F which is a huge plus. I am unsure of my specialty, but would like the best options possible to place into something like surgery.

KCU

Pros:
- cheaper (51k tuition), pending 10k scholarship that I'll hear from at end of month
- closer to family, 1 hr flight home
- super competitive match into specialties
- core rotation site in 3rd year in one place in the US, less moving around
Cons:
- midwest, not as familiar with area
- less diversity than what I'm used to in LA

Western
Pros:
- location in SoCal, am very familiar with area
- have tons of friends in programs here
- great match in Socal
Cons:
- more expensive (63k tuition)
- rotation sites all over Socal... sounds daunting
- concern about accreditation???

Touro Nevada

Pros:
- great scores/residency placement
- have heard Henderson is a really nice place to live
- rotation sites are all local, seems cozy with good connections
Cons:
- short turnaround with expensive deposit
- more expensive (60k)

I really appreciate any help or insight any of you can share!! Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I was about to post something similar. Congrats on your A's! I feel like all else being mostly equal, you probably have to go with cheapest tuition, KCU. I feel like there may be advantages to holding on to 2 though, especially if you're not totally sold. Aid offers and scholarships can flip the balance.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also in this exact situation and interested to hear what people think

Members don't see this ad :)
KCU is the better option of the 3 with better track record. Western now has accreditation with heightened monitoring. Touro Nevada is a newer ish school.

Go with the cheapest tuition and closest to your support base. All three are fine schools.

Eother that or which do you like the best: Las Vegas buffets, LA Mexican food, or KC barbecue?

Reactions: 1 users
KCU. Close to family, have heard great things about them. It would also save you about 40k in tuition and then some due to difference in cost of living. Don’t know if you can strategize to have closer rotation sites, but otherwise you will have difficult commutes at Western.

Reactions: 1 users
Go with the cheapest tuition and closest to your support base. All three are fine schools.

Eother that or which do you like the best: Las Vegas buffets, LA Mexican food, or KC barbecue?
@Goro what are your thoughts on Western's new accreditation warning?

@Goro I had a similar question but with PNWU thrown into the mix instead of KCU, so tuition and cost are more or less equal at the 3. Major cons are PNWU quality of rotations, Western's accreditation warning, and TouroN is further from family (in NW OR). I'm unsure how to weight those factors when trying to rank schools. Also, is there an advantage to holding more than 1?

@Goro I had a similar question but with PNWU thrown into the mix instead of KCU, so tuition and cost are more or less equal at the 3. Major cons are PNWU quality of rotations, Western's accreditation warning, and TouroN is further from family (in NW OR). I'm unsure how to weight those factors when trying to rank schools. Also, is there an advantage to holding more than 1?
There is no advantage to holding more than one. Give up the places where you don't want to go and let someone else achieve thier dream.

The accreditation warning at Western is not something I'd worry about. Ask int he school-specific thread to find out from current students as to what they knw about it.

Read this and use it to help figure out what factors to use when picking a school:

Reactions: 4 users