-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How is this school in terms of location...because the website looks great but a personal perspective would be helpful🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think they take a fair number of people from Kansas and Missouri becuase they apply to KCUMB, but they don't have a preference for them. They took me and I'm from Canada.How much regional preference does KCUMB show? I love the school's values and their positive reputation, but I don't want being from Ohio to hurt me 🙁
Location as in .....How is this school in terms of location...because the website looks great but a personal perspective would be helpful🙂
Kansas City, MO - first time I'd been there was for the interview and I found it great.
OR
where it's located in KC - apparently not the greatest neighbourhood, but there is secure parking and from what all the students told me while I was at my interview, the neighbourhood is not an issue. They do a lot of community work in the direct area through their score 1 program.
For what it is worth, I would apply broadly and once you get interviews assess the various locations.
I'm withdrawing my acceptance to KCUMB. Best of luck to the person who gets my spot. I decided to go into nursing of all things! So when you graduate from med school and finish residency, please please please treat your nurses with respect because they work very hard.🙂
Post discussion here for the new year!
New application year already? 😱 Wow. Time sure flies. Good luck on the applications! I check these forums sporadically and am not very good at answering or checking my PM, but I'm around and will try to answer questions.
wow you really made a drastic decision, but in the end, I know you did it because you thought nursing was more for you; that is great and I completely agree with what you said, nurses should be treated with the same amount of respect as doctors since they do a lot of work and basically it's a healthcare team.
Is anyone else starting this program on July 1st (this friday!! 😱) What are the stats for matriculation into their DO school like? and into other schools? I feel like there's a different thread on this, but I can't find it. Any words of wisdom from alumni are appreciated 😀
When do secondaries typically get sent out?
has anyone heard anything from KCUMB?
From what I remember reading from last year KCUMB only sends secondaries out once they have reviewed the entire application and decided that the person is a good potential candidate (although sometimes if the candidate has a really strong application, they may get a secondary before everything is in, and sometimes an interview invite before the secondary is complete).
anyone else get an information letter in mail today?
anyone else get an information letter in mail today?
I did...I kind of freaked out thinking it was a rejection letter -___-;;
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did...I kind of freaked out thinking it was a rejection letter -___-;;
i did the same thing!
they don't have much of a regional preference compared to other schools, if i remember right my class (2014) has about half from Kansas/Missouri.
As far as location goes, it is in downtown Kansas City, MO. Not the best part of downtown to be honest, but our campus is very safe. You just don't want to be venturing into the surrounding neighborhoods.
As far as location goes, it is in downtown Kansas City, MO. Not the best part of downtown to be honest, but our campus is very safe. You just don't want to be venturing into the surrounding neighborhoods.
As did I. Is this really good news meaning they have reviewed me already and this is just the topping?
secondary done, payment submitted, letters on their way. whoo!
I got the secondary today, will submit it tomorrow. LOR's sent.
Anyone know how thoroughly they screen the primary application??
Can any of you who received the secondary app post the essay questions--if there are any? It would be greatly appreciated 😀
Just a heads up - its best to type your response directly into the space provided. I tried to copy and paste mine from a plain text editor like note pad but it still wouldn't submit. Once I re typed my essay into the space, it worked.
I did...I kind of freaked out thinking it was a rejection letter -___-;;
Ha, yeah me too. I had already gotten an interview invite (from another school) and was going to call KCUMB to make sure they didn't lose my application. When I got the letter I thought "whelp, already got my first rejection" and only half-heartedly read it. When I realized it was just an information letter, I was confused why they would tell me to check out the school and not even give me a secondary. Then I got the secondary yesterday.

Last edited:
Secondary in!
Could you please tell us what the prompt for the secondary is??
THANK YOU
lolCould you please tell us what the prompt for the secondary is??
THANK YOUlol
i don't remember the exact wording, but it is basically, "why KCUMB and what values and qualities can you bring to the school?" it is a single essay question with a bunch of biographical questions. 2500 character limit.
for those that my have made some bad decisions, they do ask if you have ever been arrested or charged regardless of an item being expunged. just an FYI.
i am currently working on the secondary essay and i just needed to get some information from current students at the medical school. how are the clinical rotations at KCUMB and the overall school environment? I am not getting much by just reading the mission statement on the website.....
So, does anyone know anything about the adcom here? Basically they rejected me for not meeting the min GPA. They only looked at my overall, and not at the 79 pb credits at 3.83 (pb sGPA 3.91). I sent them a nicely worded "please reconsider" email, as my DO letter writer went to school there, and told me to ask them for it... Wondering what anyone's thoughts are...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, does anyone know anything about the adcom here? Basically they rejected me for not meeting the min GPA. They only looked at my overall, and not at the 79 pb credits at 3.83 (pb sGPA 3.91). I sent them a nicely worded "please reconsider" email, as my DO letter writer went to school there, and told me to ask them for it... Wondering what anyone's thoughts are...
Did they send you a secondary?
No
that sucks. did you hear back from them regarding the "please reconsider" e-mail? I e-mailed them with a question and they were super nice (albeit i was very respectful) and quick. Just curious what they said regarding that.
No response yet. I'll post if/when I hear back. If I don't hear anything by ~Mon, I'm going to call the lady... I think it's kind of BS that I was screened out, my MCAT meets their expectations (its 26, their average ACCEPTED score) and my GPA (I think) should make them reconsider... we'll see I guess... if nothing else, I asked, and that's all I can do...
No response yet. I'll post if/when I hear back. If I don't hear anything by ~Mon, I'm going to call the lady... I think it's kind of BS that I was screened out, my MCAT meets their expectations (its 26, their average ACCEPTED score) and my GPA (I think) should make them reconsider... we'll see I guess... if nothing else, I asked, and that's all I can do...
How did you find out that you were screened out? Did you just call and ask them? I ask because I haven't received a secondary from them yet. Maybe I'll call tomorrow morning to see my status.
I was sent a F-U letter in the mail... "you will not be considered, if your stats change let us know... blah blah"
I was sent a F-U letter in the mail... "you will not be considered, if your stats change let us know... blah blah"
Don't get discouraged. This is my second year applying. Just keep improving your application. At least it's early, so you still have time to enroll in undergrad for the fall or maybe take some grad school classes, study and retake the MCAT, or work on a spectacular extracurricular project.
How did you find out that you were screened out? Did you just call and ask them? I ask because I haven't received a secondary from them yet. Maybe I'll call tomorrow morning to see my status.
I didn't get a secondary either. They said they would send them out soon
From what I remember reading from last year KCUMB only sends secondaries out once they have reviewed the entire application and decided that the person is a good potential candidate (although sometimes if the candidate has a really strong application, they may get a secondary before everything is in, and sometimes an interview invite before the secondary is complete).
Really? That's good to know.
Nope, still rejected... They want me to go into their SMP... Not happening...
Just a heads up - its best to type your response directly into the space provided. I tried to copy and paste mine from a plain text editor like note pad but it still wouldn't submit. Once I re typed my essay into the space, it worked.
Their program is truly messed up and NotePad didn't work for me either. If anyone else has similar problem, I found another solution:
1) copy and paste from Word into your URL bar in the Internet Browser, this will erase formats better than NotePad
2) copy into the secondary text field
3) reformat your paragraphs in the secondary text field
Nope, still rejected... They want me to go into their SMP... Not happening...
that is LAME. good luck elsewhere.
is there an applicant status page for this school or do we have to e-mail them? can't seem to find it...
Really? That's good to know.
If you get an interview, it's also REALLY good news because they accept like 90% of people they interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you get an interview, it's also REALLY good news because they accept like 90% of people they interview.
Really? Come on invite.
In all seriousness, is that true?
Really? Come on invite.
In all seriousness, is that true?
That is what they told me when I interviewed last year - I was one of those 10% that didn't make it 🙁
Wow. Did you apply this year? And if so, are you getting any love?
Wow. Did you apply this year? And if so, are you getting any love?
Not yet, but I'd better. They suggested I take some 400 level or grad school courses and show that I can get A's in higher level courses. So I quickly signed up for grad school classes (that I couldn't afford) and got straight A's. I will be pretty confused if I don't even get an interview this year.
Well good luck to you.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 69K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 49K