KCUMB M.S. vs. VCOM Post-bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forrestrocko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all, I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I could not specifically find it, so I decided to post. I have been accepted to both the M.S. program (1-year) at KCUMB, which is essentially a post-bac program, and VCOM's post-bac program, and am trying to decide which to attend? I realize that no one has probably attended them both, but if anyone has good or bad experiences with either, I would love to hear from you.

KCUMB
-get a M.S., though not sure if this matters
-KCUMB more established medical school and post-bac program, thus possibly more recognized nationally, even M.D. programs
-not sure about the last couple years, but in 2008, I believe 16/17 participants were accepted into med school the following year

VCOM
-early interview at VCOM for med school as long as you maintain a 3.5 gpa first semester, otherwise you get an interview same time as the rest of the country
-VCOM's stats are lower (not saying the school is worse), which might allow more of a chance of being accepted into their med school, especially in conjunction with their post-bac
-around 77% of post-bac graduates get into VCOM med school, the rest may have simply not applied to VCOM?
-only negative side I see, is that no federal loans for this program, but it IS half price of KCUMB's post-bac

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

So do these programs have matriculation agreements with their DO schools, like if you maintain a 3.0 or 3.5 and get a certain score, your guaranteed an interview/seat? Because then it's worth it just like guaranteed admission programs, best of luck!

Neither of them have a 'guaranteed' acceptance, but if you maintain a 3.5 at either of the schools, you are guaranteed an interview. At VCOM, your interview is very early, so you know by December if you are accepted. At KCUMB, many of the students are accepted straight out of the program, and many others are accepted elsewhere. The lady in charge told me there is close to a 100% acceptance rate for those with a 3.5 GPA.....I don't know anything, however, about those with less than a 3.5.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anything about VCOM's postbacc, obviously, but I know that MANY people in the KCUMB M.S. get accepted to KCUMB's COM. Also, this is just a personal preference, but I'd rather do an SMP than a postbacc any day of the week. Might as well get a degree out of it, you know?

[EDIT]However, if KCUMB's program is 2x that of VCOM's, I don't know. Cost is king, so that would definitely be something that would lure me towards VCOM's program.

I agree with Mega on both points, cost is a huge factor, but KCUMB is a great program and there are a number of kids from the Biosciences program that are accepted into the med program. If I'm not mistaken, they all interview on the same day. It's later in the season, but it seems like you stand a pretty good shot at KCUMB med if you do well in the Biosciences program.

Is the VCOM program accredited? I only ask this because you said it's not covered by federal loans, which can be a big problem. I would rather attend an accredited SMP than a post-bacc that is not accredited. You might want to check out the post-bacc forums to see if there is more info on both programs before you make a decision.