KCUMB or CCOM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndecisiveDOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SNDers... I desperately need some feedback on these schools and cannot make up my mind - I change my decision every day and the deposit dates are coming up in early to mid January.

This is how I see it.... KCUMB has an awesome curriculum the first two years with some really great early clinical experience in the lab and urban setting. However, I'm not too excited about the prospect of possibly moving to another city for clinicals, and KC itself doesn't seem like the best place for clinicals based on what my perspective. However, that is where CCOM shines since everyone does their rotations within/around the Chicago area so there's minimal moving, if at all, and you just can't beat Chicago in terms of midwest cities. On the other hand, I really don't like their traditional curriculum that I don't think caters to my way of learning.

These are two amazing schools and I'm SO lucky to have the option, but the decision is killing me!!! Thanks in advance guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

See which one is more important to you and which has higher priority: the Curriculum that matches your style of learning, or whether you stay in one location for your rotations. From what I read that seems to be the deciding factor for you.

There was just a thread on this bro, use the search. I'd help you out and do it for you but I'm on my phone in an ambulance so I can't. If you want to talk KCUMB though we have some great class of 2015'ers who'd love to help you out including me, moose, or wolverine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deciding which is more important to you, location or curriculum, is for sure going to help you out here. For me, I'm not a tremendous fan of the rural setting where I'm at for DCOM, but I wanted systems based teaching (which is what I believe KCUMB offers?). I think the best way to think about this is: 1.) Are the kind of person that can be happy anywhere? Then go with KCUMB. It's a pretty cool city from what I hear- see how flexible their rotations are as far as locations. I don't know how their clinical years are. But also 2.) Can you survive any type of curriculum academically? If so, then just go with Chicago. If not, you'll want to go with KCUMB it seems.

For me personally, I love systems approach and I can deal with almost any location for a few years at least. So figure out what's going to suit you best academically and go with that.

There was just a thread on this bro, use the search. I'd help you out and do it for you but I'm on my phone in an ambulance so I can't. If you want to talk KCUMB though we have some great class of 2015'ers who'd love to help you out including me, moose, or wolverine.

duuuuuude I did... the only thing that came up for me was from like 2008. Maybe the 4 beers I had before I posted blurred the numbers for me... And I'm on here pretty often (used a different name obviously) and didn't remember seeing this debate.

To the other posters, it's not really about "moving" per se that annoys me with KCUMB, but the "quality" of the rotations. I just feel like you can't beat Chicago rotations compared to either KC or their other national locals. Also, there is only one location I saw on the KCUMB list that was in KC. I just feel like the clinical sites are where you're really learning and applying things from M1/2. I like the idea of variety for clinicals in Chicago, especially in terms of ethnic/financial background of patients... wouldn't that be more useful for residency?? But feel free to prove me wrong! :)

Ugh now I'm even more confused about which to pick! :scared:

duuuuuude I did... the only thing that came up for me was from like 2008. Maybe the 4 beers I had before I posted blurred the numbers for me... And I'm on here pretty often (used a different name obviously) and didn't remember seeing this debate.

To the other posters, it's not really about "moving" per se that annoys me with KCUMB, but the "quality" of the rotations. I just feel like you can't beat Chicago rotations compared to either KC or their other national locals. Also, there is only one location I saw on the KCUMB list that was in KC. I just feel like the clinical sites are where you're really learning and applying things from M1/2. I like the idea of variety for clinicals in Chicago, especially in terms of ethnic/financial background of patients... wouldn't that be more useful for residency?? But feel free to prove me wrong! :)

Ugh now I'm even more confused about which to pick! :scared:

Frankly just becuase you move around for your clinicals doesn't mean the rotations sites are not up to par! KCUMB is one of the oldest medschools and they have a great reputation and with that rep comes certain standards they have to keep. For example in another thread I was reading that Rocky Vista gets second pick for rotations sites in colorado after KCUMB (which sucks for them but awesome for KCUMB). and the way I look at it whats important is your third year rotations as most of your fourth year is elective which I personally would like to be able to move around for the audition rotations and what not. and as you can see from Both schools residency placement both schools are top notch when it comes to student landing residencies! so both systems work. I personally, at my undergrad school, my major (physiology) was thought in a system based curriculum and frankly I have retained alot of the info that I was thought before because it was thought that way, which is why I prioritized that over location.

Yeah man, I've heard great things about CCOM's clinical sites being the same as the other Chicago schools and whatnot but KCUMB has built some great relationships with some major hospitals as well simply because of it's history and reputation (again don't wanna go looking for the list since I'm on a rig). I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Ps. Did wolverine join you for drinks, too? Haha, taught =/= thought :p

Frankly just becuase you move around for your clinicals doesn't mean the rotations sites are not up to par! KCUMB is one of the oldest medschools and they have a great reputation and with that rep comes certain standards they have to keep. For example in another thread I was reading that Rocky Vista gets second pick for rotations sites in colorado after KCUMB (which sucks for them but awesome for KCUMB). and the way I look at it whats important is your third year rotations as most of your fourth year is elective which I personally would like to be able to move around for the audition rotations and what not. and as you can see from Both schools residency placement both schools are top notch when it comes to student landing residencies! so both systems work. I personally, at my undergrad school, my major (physiology) was thought in a system based curriculum and frankly I have retained alot of the info that I was thought before because it was thought that way, which is why I prioritized that over location.

Haha, don't trust the guy who posted that! (I am never a creditable source) Wolvie and I must have shared several drinks twonight Mega.

CCOM. Rotations outweigh the first two years.

OP, I have a friend who's a second year at KCUMB right now. I'll see if she wants to chime in here. Also, you might want to look up SpicedManna's review of KCUMB. Do a search for it. It's somewhere on SDN -- maybe in the 2008-2009 discussion thread? It's pretty lengthy. Or you can just email him/her. He/she is a 4th year now, I think and is pretty upfront and honest about the school.

"Pros and Cons of your DO school" is another good thread - look up the more up-to-date ones though since it's a couple years old.

OP, I have a friend who's a second year at KCUMB right now. I'll see if she wants to chime in here. Also, you might want to look up SpicedManna's review of KCUMB. Do a search for it. It's somewhere on SDN -- maybe in the 2008-2009 discussion thread? It's pretty lengthy. Or you can just email him/her. He/she is a 4th year now, I think and is pretty upfront and honest about the school.

Was spicedmanna the one that was really negative?

Are you kidding? Spicedmanna had just terrible things to say about the school in her latter years. Her opinion is skewed extremely towards the negative. I would definitely read her concerns but I would definitely not consider them a balanced or majority view by any means.

Are you kidding? Spicedmanna had just terrible things to say about the school in her latter years. Her opinion is skewed extremely towards the negative. I would definitely read her concerns but I would definitely not consider them a balanced or majority view by any means.

I remember reading it and after carefully becoming more and more convinced that she was a ridiculous outlier, I quickly disregarded her opinion.

Bottom line:
Angry minority=Tell the world, call to arms
Happy majority=quiet contentment, private commending

I just spoke to a local Retinologist who graduated from KCUMB and has only positive and encouraging things to say about the school, rotations, and residency placement options. Yes, that is a sub-speciality and yes, he is an extremely successful DO.

hmm not many people are speaking up for CCOM... I had my heart set on KCUMB before I had gone to my CCOM interview. I wasn't as impressed with CCOM - it just didn't have that "brotherly feel" like KCUMB did; if that makes any sense. I'll be calling KCUMB after the holidays to get more specifics on the rotation details. Since I've heard that rotations are usually what you make out of them, with the occasional hit or miss, then I don't see a problem with KCUMB in terms of 3rd and 4th year.

Thanks for all your responses guys!
More from CCOM and 3rd/4th year KCUMB students would be great!!