kcumb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarterchild

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does kcumb grant everyone who fills out aacomas interviews? i havent sent in my secondary yet and i just got an invite today.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to my knowledge...

I've turned in my AACOMAS, got verified and mailed...but no MCAT reported or secondary invite yet...hoping for one soon. If I get an interview before scores come out, i'll be shocked.

Getting an interview there is a good sign.

also remember they will be filling a huge class of 260 this year. They may interview more than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
260? WOW, That's not teaching the science/art of medicine that's hearding cattle, MOOOOO.... that is the only thing that I dislike about DO schools...huge classes.

260? WOW, That's not teaching the science/art of medicine that's hearding cattle, MOOOOO.... that is the only thing that I dislike about DO schools...huge classes.

Well, compare that to a class of 30 people... what if you hated 28 out of that? You'd have one friend. More students = more possibilities for friendships.

Actually most DO schools are no where near that large and I really don't think it makes that much of a difference. They just divide the class into groups which helps with the precieved size. All the students I talked with at KCUMB said the class size had no effect on the quality of their education. Check our their match list if you don't believe me.

If you have a good GPA and MCAT score they will invite you for an interview pre-secondary. You do have to have your secondary turned in by the time you have your interview.

This is how it seems to work: You do not automatically get an interview when filling out AACOMAS, but if you have good stats you may get an invite pre-secondary. However if you DO get an interview, the interview:accepted is fairly high.

Yes, the classes are also very large, our MSI class is sitting at about 268. But, as mentioned before, the class is broken into 4 groups so it seems much smaller. The only time you noticed the large class is during lecture, but that doesn't really affect anything anyway, the labs are what counts.

If you have a good GPA and MCAT score they will invite you for an interview pre-secondary. You do have to have your secondary turned in by the time you have your interview.

What is considered a "good gpa and mcat" ?

What is considered a "good gpa and mcat" ?

Hmm...I don't know... I have a friend that got invited pre-secondary but he had a 25 or 28 MCAT, and I don't know what his GPA is. I have a lower MCAT and a 3.69 GPA and I got invited after my secondary. Sooo, I think it just depends.

In my case, i wasn't planning on applying to kcumb, but just sent out the primary with some other schools. They sent me an interview w/o my secondary so I'm thinking about going to the interview. My stats are the following:

Overall GPA: 3.45
Science GPA: 3.17
MCAT: 28

Hope that helps. :)

In my case, i wasn't planning on applying to kcumb, but just sent out the primary with some other schools. They sent me an interview w/o my secondary so I'm thinking about going to the interview. My stats are the following:

Overall GPA: 3.45
Science GPA: 3.17
MCAT: 28

Hope that helps. :)

When is your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview is 10/11

I will be flying in from NJ. I still have to do the secondary thou.

Do you have an interview coming up?

Interview is 10/11

I already got accepted. Let me know how your interview goes! Be prepared for ethical questions! :)

Can you give us an idea of the ethical questions they are asking currently? Interview Feedback is lacking in recent feedback for KCUMB.

Yeah, I noticed. I added mine that day! lol

Question 1

You're a family practice doc in Missouri and you're selected to perform a lethal injection for a prisoner. If you don't do it you lose your license in that state. What do you do?

A parent brings in her 13 year old pregnant daughter demanding you set up an appt. for her to get an abortion. You don't have to perform it, but how do you handle the situation?

A patient brings in a print out off the internet about her disease and how it should be treated. She claims that you are treating her wrong (according to the internet). How do you handle this patient?

There were other general questions....

Do you have any pets?
What's your favorite science/non-science class?
Describe a situation where someone had to trust you.
Do you have a support system?

Question 1

You're a family practice doc in Missouri and you're selected to perform a lethal injection for a prisoner. If you don't do it you lose your license in that state. What do you do?

A parent brings in her 13 year old pregnant daughter demanding you set up an appt. for her to get an abortion. You don't have to perform it, but how do you handle the situation?

A patient brings in a print out off the internet about her disease and how it should be treated. She claims that you are treating her wrong (according to the internet). How do you handle this patient?

There were other general questions....

Do you have any pets?
What's your favorite science/non-science class?
Describe a situation where someone had to trust you.
Do you have a support system?
Do you happen to remember who your interviewers were?

Is that true about losing your license if you refuse to participate in an execution?

Is that true about losing your license if you refuse to participate in an execution?

No. It's just a hypothetical question based on current events. Missouri recently had executions halted by a federal judge because a BC Anesthesiologist isn't present to verify the prisoner is properly sedated before the lethal (and painful) drugs are administered. Missouri has so far been unable to find a state-licensed, BC Anesthesiologist willing to participate in an execution -- so no more executions. Its not hard to see how the pro death penalty group would want to tie licensure into the equation, though. Still, the question is nothing more than hypothetical.

I'm not sure how I would answer those...specifically the lethal injection one.

I said that I would refuse and become licensed in another state. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, and I believe it goes against the first tenet of medicine--do no harm.

I was anticipating that question for my interview and my reply was going to fall back on the hippocratic oath, which states that "I will neither prescribe nor administer a lethal dose of medicine to any patient even if asked..."

I'd say that about covers it!

I was anticipating that question for my interview and my reply was going to fall back on the hippocratic oath, which states that "I will neither prescribe nor administer a lethal dose of medicine to any patient even if asked..."

I'd say that about covers it!
Keep in mind that at KCUMB, and many other schools, you are no longer sworn in under the Hippocratic Oath. They have accepted more modern alternatives. This is definately not to say that it doesn't apply, I'm just playing the devil's advocate in case you get an interviewer who says it.

Keep in mind that at KCUMB, and many other schools, you are no longer sworn in under the Hippocratic Oath. They have accepted more modern alternatives. This is definately not to say that it doesn't apply, I'm just playing the devil's advocate in case you get an interviewer who says it.

I know at NOVA when you get your white coat as an MSI you take some kind of an osteopathic oath and then at graduation you take the Hippocratic oath. Maybe you'll do more than one.

Very good point, I don't know what we do for graduation...

:laugh: LMAO!
I've done that to MY doctor! He gave me a very good example how not to handle it. I fired him.

I interviewed last week and I got rejection letter today. :(

I interviewed last week and I got rejection letter today. :(
Aww that sucks to hear...:(

Best of luck in your future interviews. You'll make it in somewhere!:)

Aww that sucks to hear...:(

Best of luck in your future interviews. You'll make it in somewhere!:)

I really do need that. I thought interview went OK. I had really bad cold and while in the interview, my throt got chocked and I could not speak for couple of minutes. They had to give me water bottle. Oh well. I have another interview on Oct 13. I hope that one goes OK.

Did he trash it?

Actually, I didn't really use information from the internet. I work in a pharmacy, so I have access to more drug references and pharmacists than he does. I read up on what he prescribed for me, and I brought the package insert in to show him that it was not indicated for what he prescribed it for. It wasn't just not listed as an indication, but it said in bold capital letters that it was not for what he prescribed it for. There was more to the story than that, but that is it in a nutshell. He said "You read too many books, cowboy." Whatever that means, especially coming from a doctor. He said it in front of the office manager, she looked embarassed. I told him that my professors would be happy to hear that I read too many books. The office manager tried to talk me into letting her get him to listen to me. I told her that was it and I walked out and didn't come back. Many of the pharmacists that I work with and doctors that I have shadowed have since told me that doctor is a jerk.

Very good point, I don't know what we do for graduation...

The Declaration of Geneva is very popular. The Hippocratic Oath doesn't make much sense anymore -- swearing to the Greek gods, promising not to share the secrets of medicine, etc.

Funny factoid: "first, do no harm" doesn't appear in the Hippcratic Oath. It's one of the most famous misquotes -- along the lines of "Play it again, Sam" and "Beam me up, Scotty."

What the f'?! I was reading the latest interview feedback and someone got, "Which cranial nerve controls the muscles of mastication?" and "What would you do if a patient went into 'a fib'". I think I would have peed my pants if I was asked those questions!

What the f'?! I was reading the latest interview feedback and someone got, "Which cranial nerve controls the muscles of mastication?" and "What would you do if a patient went into 'a fib'". I think I would have peed my pants if I was asked those questions!

I probably would have said "Well, I haven't been in a bio or anatomy class in over 10 years....I hope to learn the answers to your question in medical school".

:)

The Declaration of Geneva is very popular. The Hippocratic Oath doesn't make much sense anymore -- swearing to the Greek gods, promising not to share the secrets of medicine, etc.

True, the ancient version of Oath doesn't completely apply these days, but there are modern versions (with minor modifications) of the Oath that are still in widespread use.

Interview is 10/11

I actually checked out this forum cause I was wondering about the "interview for everyone" thing too. I'll be interviewing that day too :) I found it Wednesday on my coffee table... but appartently it had gotten here a week earlier, I just didn't notice! Good luck to you! And maybe we'll run into eachother :)