Kcumb ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been accepted to KCUMB with Biochem and or Genetics listed as NY taken? I know they theoretically can accept a student with these courses listed to be taken prior to matriculation. This is my no. 1 choice and the only upper division science courses I will have by the time I apply will be Cell Bio and Immunology. On their website it says Cell Bio can be substituted for Genetics and OR Biochem. Just curious to see if anybody on SDN has been granted an acceptance to KCUMB without YET taken these courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Very early in the interview season (Sept 2006) I had not taken the genetics or biochemistry requirement, but still KCUMB called me up and gave me an interview (pre-secondary application). I almost didn't go to the KCUMB interview because I was waiting for my acceptance to Western COMP. I went to Kansas City and had an great low-stress interviewing experience. Much better than my previous medical school "stress" interviews. The admissions committee gets back to you quickly.

Two weeks later, in October 2006, I received a letter in the mail from KCUMB: "You have been placed on the alternate list. Your acceptance to KCUMB is pending completion of your 1 semester of biochemistry & 1 semester of genetics."

KCUMB is a great school, & I probably would've fought to get a seat if I didn't have offers from other schools. I don't think that I wasted my time interviewing at KCUMB, but I did waste a lot of money by flying there & getting a hotel.

Therefore... my advice is plan on having all of your requirements (genetics, biochemistry, English, etc) completed by the time you interview at KCUMB. You'll be better able to secure a seat, rather than be placed on an alternate/waiting list while you complete those final genetics and biochemistry requirements.

The only upper division science courses I will have by the time I apply will be Cell Biology and Immunology. On their website it says Cell Bio can be substituted for Genetics and OR Biochem. Just curious to see if anybody on SDN has been granted an acceptance to KCUMB without YET taken these courses.

Yes, I also read (on the secondary application and website) that substitution of 1 semester of cell biology is possible for one but not both. So you'll have to try to take the other required class prior to your interview.

As a warning, I read that some people here (LisaMD?) were not able to substitute the celll & molecular biology class for their biochemistry class.

Contact the KCUMB admissions committee for thier specific subsititution requirements.

Good luck with the application process!

I personally know 3 people who were accepted to KCUMB, and are not taking biochem until this summer. They just require you have it before you matriculate in August.