You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Kean/Drexel 8 yr vs. Pittsburgh undergrad
Started by DoctorS_
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I would take Kean/Drexel. It is a guaranteed program with good financial aid. You can't beat free Kaplan Review course. They really want you to succeed. Pittsburgh is expensive and not combined. You will be competing against gunners. Home life and extracurricular activities also help you in the transition.
Can't pass up guaranteed spot and good money.
Can't pass up guaranteed spot and good money.

I wudnt go to kean. Kean is not a very good school and you'll have not very intelligent people there. Also u said the program says a 31 is required on the mcat. Ummm ok...well what happens if u get a 30. Say bye bye to that progra. And u definately want to dorm. Dorming will be much more fun and you'll have more friends.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have your sets sight on EM or another specialty that isn't super competitive I would definitely go with the Drexel option. Peace of mind (it's really not hard to get a 3.5+ and a 31 is very doable with the proper studying) and less debt. Pitt wouldn't be worth the extra cash if you're shooting for EM.
I did the Drexel/Drexel program. I would recommend the 8 year program since you have acceptance into medical school.
Since Kent is a smaller school, I would try to work harder to learn some material before medical school. Some complaints of the combined program with Drexel is that the smaller schools do not have the same coursework compared to the bigger schools.
Congrats! Hope I see you at Drexel.
PS: Going to Drexel doesn't change your ability to match at all. We have a ton of people matching into competitive specialties. You just have the motivation to work hard to match into the specialty you want.
Since Kent is a smaller school, I would try to work harder to learn some material before medical school. Some complaints of the combined program with Drexel is that the smaller schools do not have the same coursework compared to the bigger schools.
Congrats! Hope I see you at Drexel.
PS: Going to Drexel doesn't change your ability to match at all. We have a ton of people matching into competitive specialties. You just have the motivation to work hard to match into the specialty you want.
As for what's competitive and what's not that's for you to look up as it's been said a thousand times on these forums. Take a peek in the medical school sections of the forum and maybe even in here in the FAQ's. Won't take long to find a thread regarding what's competitive and what's not. There's too many specialties to just list them all in accordance to how competitive they are.
As far as the school is concerned it's really up to you and your personal preference in the end. I personally have been looking into Pitt in terms of both undergrad and med school.
Good luck.
As far as the school is concerned it's really up to you and your personal preference in the end. I personally have been looking into Pitt in terms of both undergrad and med school.
Good luck.
Last edited:
Well with that scholarship wouldn't Pitt be cheaper for undergrad? If so, and you don't want to be bound to Drexel (I wouldn't blame you), I would choose Pitt. If you feel you can maintain those academic standards regardless of where you go then you have a good chance of getting into a lot of med schools. Don't limit yourself if you feel uncomfortable doing so, go with "what your heart desires."
upitt undergrad sucks. Any bs/md program is better.
upitt undergrad sucks. Any bs/md program is better.
This is a year old thread; there is no need to revive it 😉
This is a year old thread; there is no need to revive it 😉
More posts for him. Lol
Hi! Just curious if you ended up taking Kean/Drexel option. If so, any advise to the interviewing candidates there for 2014?The number for Pitt is without room and board (because I cannot find a number on their website). I would not have to pay room and board for the BS/MD. If I do decide to go to Pitt and decide to stay in the program I want, the tuition would jump to $30,000 for my junior and senior years (switching schools within the university).
With this in consideration, my undergrad would be more expensive at Pitt. However, Drexel COM is an expensive school, so I believe that overall (through the eight years in both combined and separate paths), the BS/MD would cost the same or less than going to Pitt and then applying to med schools.
Just be aware of the alarming price of Drexel, and its relatively limited financial aid opportunities in general, though I can't speak to any financial aid that may be unique to this program.
source: I am a drexel grad
source: I am a drexel grad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Question
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 726
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K