7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Well, you can always retake the class after your second semester, Physics II. You will get extra practice in the second semester, and then retake the Physics I afterwards and probably will have an easier chance of getting a better grade.

I know a friend of mine that took the second semester of General Chemistry, even though he got a C in the first semester, got an A in second semester, and then went back the following semester to raise his General 1 grade up.

So since you are still plannig to retake the class you can go either way, retake it now or retake it later neither is really a loss.

Also don't forget that even though you ended up with a C, you still learned a lot of the Physics I stuff along the way, so it is not likely you will be taking the second semester on an empty mind.

OP
vanillabear55

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status

Last edited:

YouNeverKnow22

7+ Year Member
May 14, 2009
Grey Street
Status
Pre-Medical
don't retake just get an A in Physics II and move in. C won't keep you out. retaking would be a waste of time and $$$

OP
vanillabear55

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status

Last edited:

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Faced between dropping out without a letter grade, a W, or a C-...

DROP OUT.

May 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Why did you decide to retake the class again?? Dropping out and taking a W, for a course you already passed and received credit for, does not good at all. Try your best, and try to do better since that is your better choice.

OP
vanillabear55

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status

Last edited:

Etorphine

7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you've never withdrawn before or have 1 W, WITHDRAW. This is the clear choice I would take. C/C+ will tank your GPA if your gunning for a competitive school. Adcoms probably won't give a second glance at a single W.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you've never withdrawn before or have 1 W, WITHDRAW. This is the clear choice I would take. C/C+ will tank your GPA if your gunning for a competitive school. Adcoms probably won't give a second glance at a single W.
I am speaking from personal experience that a C is a terrible, terrible thing. (I have one.)

OP
vanillabear55

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status

Last edited:

ellm1205

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
If you're confident that you'll make an A this time around, you should stay in the class. If not, I'd drop it and maybe take another course that requires physics I material and do well in it to show that you really understood the material. I got a C for Ochem II the first time, and I was horrified at first, but did well in upper division chem classes that required the material. I was pretty confident that I would do well if I took it again, so I did, and got an A. I think getting anything other than an A is not worth retaking.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you're confident that you'll make an A this time around, you should stay in the class. If not, I'd drop it and maybe take another course that requires physics I material and do well in it to show that you really understood the material. I got a C for Ochem II the first time, and I was horrified at first, but did well in upper division chem classes that required the material. I was pretty confident that I would do well if I took it again, so I did, and got an A. I think getting anything other than an A is not worth retaking.
Correct.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
OP
vanillabear55

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status

Last edited:
OP
vanillabear55

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you have time to retake it?

Your GPA looks good, but I believe adcoms really look closely at your chem, physics, and ochem grades because they can often pick out who looks good and bad right away.

If it were me I would retake it because I personally can't have anything less than an A/A-. that's just me though...I would weight the pros and cons and see what fits you best. If you think it would make you a more attractive candidate then do it. If not, then don't. If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, it could help you on that section also.

Ignatius M.D.

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unless you go to a school that is super competitive and a C is not as bad as at other places (tough engineering schools maybe?), it will look bad. That being said, your overall is fine, and I would not waste time retaking. If you think a retake will be an easy A it may be worth it. I cannot imagine re-taking physics though *shudders*. One C (or even more sometimes) will not sink an application.

OP
vanillabear55

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status

Last edited: