Keep IPPEs on CV or remove them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chem Blade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm updating my current CV and it's maxed to 5 full pages. I'm applying for a hospital position right after graduating. I have a full page of presentations and I have my IPPEs. Should I remove both? Or keep them?

Members don't see this ad.

Leave them for now - you're applying for your first job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Leave them for now - you're applying for your first job.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

x2... I left both appe and ippe on my cv (first job).

Did not include presentations though.

Members don't see this ad :)
CV - Leave them, it's a CV.

Resume - First job, leave them. Second job, edit them for relevance (so if applying to VA, putting in that you did an APPE at VA helps us as we don't have to go through as much background work). Mid/late career (15 years in) - Drop them.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I'm going to go against the common consensus here, but I personally would not put IPPEs on there. APPEs are fine early career, but I would view IPPEs as attempt to take up space and increase page count. Spending a month doing something (APPEs) is significant, spending a few hours here and there (IPPEs) isn't. But feel free to disagree, especially since others are saying include them.

I vote against listing IPPE's unless you did one at a health system relevant to the place you are applying.

A hospital employer isn't going to care where you did you first 2 week community or health system rotation at. It's just filler that takes away from things that can stand out (like presentations).

I left off the ippes. Just didn't think they added any value to my resume....

take the IPPE's off unless it was at the place you are applying. I say this a lot, I am a clinc spec - 13 years experience, my CV is 3 pages. In the past 2 yeasr I applied for 5 jobs, got interviews at 4 and offers at 4.

take the IPPE's off unless it was at the place you are applying. I say this a lot, I am a clinc spec - 13 years experience, my CV is 3 pages. In the past 2 yeasr I applied for 5 jobs, got interviews at 4 and offers at 4.

Well I think after working a certain number of years, you could definitely take them off like others have said. But this will be my first job so it might be different.

I vote against listing IPPE's unless you did one at a health system relevant to the place you are applying.

A hospital employer isn't going to care where you did you first 2 week community or health system rotation at. It's just filler that takes away from things that can stand out (like presentations).

Definitely leave out presentations and papers unless you are prepared to answer questions about it. I got screwed on one interview because they asked about a presentation and I couldn't remember jack ****.

APPEs pretty much involve sitting around, reading UpToDate and trying your best to look busy. IPPEs involve even less. Leave them off.

Does the hospital job you're applying for require giving presentations? I'm a hospital pharmacist and I don't plan on ever giving a presentation.

I would remove them unless:
1. the IPPE is at the institution/retail pharmacy you are applying for
2. you did something particularly noteworthy during the IPPE that you would like to bring up during a potential interview (unlikely)

Your potential employer likely won't spend a huge amount of time reading your CV. If it doesn't make you stand out in a positive light, not much point in listing it!

I would DEFINITELY remove IPPEs for a resume, and probably APPEs as well.