Keep Old Notes/Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaginRajon

All-Star in 2010
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to spend today cleaning my basement and I came across my old orgo & general chemistry notebooks & textbooks. Do you think that they might be useful to have in medical school, or should I throw them away? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have sold them on Ebay and Amazon a long time ago. Better do it now before they're worth pennies. You could always buy them again if you ever DO want to use them...

I decided that since selling my books back would probably get me back a pittance. I opted to keep them and have a nice book collected after grad school. Fun right?

Sell them so you can have some money for medical school. So, congrats! I wish I was in your place right now *sigh*

Sell the textbooks for $$$ and recycle the notes.

Have your taken your MCAT? It might be helpful for your MCAT if the textbooks of the courses are prereqs.

If you don't feel necessary, you can sell your textbooks. Look around your university. There should be a textbook score that buys used textbooks.

Edit 1: It seems that you are accepted. I would advice you to sell your textbooks and recycle your notes.

Have your taken your MCAT? It might be helpful for your MCAT if the textbooks of the courses are prereqs.

If you don't feel necessary, you can sell your textbooks. Look around your university. There should be a textbook score that buys used textbooks.

Edit 1: It seems that you are accepted. I would advice you to sell your textbooks and recycle your notes.

Meh, review books + wikipedia for clarification is enough. I never used any text book to study for the MCAT, way too much detail usually.

I'm a book/notes hoarder... I have high school notes and probably primary school ones if I look hard enough. Memorabilia I guess, maybe show the kids someday that waaaay back in time, we read from and wrote on things called papyrus, not Ipaper...

I kept some of the more impressive-looking ones to line the bottom of my bookshelves. Aesthetics and weight are the only useful qualities your undergrad books now have. And many of your med school texts, for that matter.

Hey, OP. If use those special pens and paper like Penfly that records notes electronically, you can get rid of paper notes but they come with a hefty price.

I found myself in the same position. After finding a few related threads (thank you search function) I decided to sell sell sell! A few of my texts aren't worth anything anymore, but I still cleared about $600 by starting a half.com account with the time I had over winter break. I never realized how da*n expensive it is to ship stuff. I've also greatly increased my bookshelf space in anticipation of moving to attend school in a different city. By the way, anybody need a genetics text with the answer manual? :D

Yeah, I came across all my old stuff this past break, and decided I was a fool keeping all this junk and being a pack rat. They were recycled and now I feel good about my room again.

I keep all my books, but that's because I love books in general. A part of me can't part with these texts so I just opt to keep them - I guess I'm starting a library.

I keep everything because I may never know if I will need something in the future. I write down a lot of helpful hints and some rhymes that my old teachers that have given me. I just dug through my old gen chem notes the other day to look up a reference that my teacher gave me. You may never know when you need it!

I keep everything because I may never know if I will need something in the future. I write down a lot of helpful hints and some rhymes that my old teachers that have given me. I just dug through my old gen chem notes the other day to look up a reference that my teacher gave me. You may never know when you need it!

This was exactly the mentality that I had. I don't know what year you are, but I kept every useful text in my undergrad. I am now in my last semester, and never, ever, opened any of them. The only thing that I referenced was a packet given to us by our gen bio prof. Trust me, sell your books now while they are still worth something!

I keep all my books, but that's because I love books in general. A part of me can't part with these texts so I just opt to keep them - I guess I'm starting a library.

That's like me and novels. If I want to read something, I buy it and I read it once. It sits on my shelf and I'll occasionally let friends borrow. I'm trying to go to the library to get my books now because it gets expensive!

This was exactly the mentality that I had. I don't know what year you are, but I kept every useful text in my undergrad. I am now in my last semester, and never, ever, opened any of them. The only thing that I referenced was a packet given to us by our gen bio prof. Trust me, sell your books now while they are still worth something!

Yes, please sell your books! I have some textbooks from a 2-3 years ago and I, too, thought I would one day use it as reference or I would sell it later on. DON'T DO IT. They just sat there, depreciating in value. Now my school and other schools around the country are on to the next edition so the money I can get by selling them is crap. Sell your books immediately after you're done with them and get some of your money back!

You'll probably never even crack them open again. Plus, whatever you thought you might reference in them you can always look up online. I made the mistake of keeping a few books and now I wish I had sold them.

I decided to spend today cleaning my basement and I came across my old orgo & general chemistry notebooks & textbooks. Do you think that they might be useful to have in medical school, or should I throw them away? Thanks!

Your college texbooks and notes will be extremely useful in med school only in the following situations: (1) you need something to prop open a door or window. (2) you have a fireplace and need kindling to get the fire started. (3) you need to squash a bug with something you don't care about. (4) your sports team wins and you need something from which to make confetti. That's about it. You won't use them for the courses if that's what you are asking.

Your college texbooks and notes will be extremely useful in med school only in the following situations: (1) you need something to prop open a door or window. (2) you have a fireplace and need kindling to get the fire started. (3) you need to squash a bug with something you don't care about. (4) your sports team wins and you need something from which to make confetti. That's about it. You won't use them for the courses if that's what you are asking.

:thumbup: