Keep on failing VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have done all the verbal reasoning tests in Kaplan and did 3 AAMC VR tests. My average percentage is around 50-60% (a score of about a 7). Am I the only one who really sucks at this? My MCAT test is in one week and I don't know what to do. Are the tests harder/longer than the real MCAT or what???? Because some of this stuff is just plain ridiculous, I have NEVER finished the whole test (always have 1-2 passages left), even when I try to read as fast as I could and cheat my way through (by skimming without actually understanding anything) to finish the whole test I still get bad marks.

Since most of you have taken the AAMC tests, how do my marks compare to yours? A 7, 7, 7 in the VR sections of tests 8, 9, and 10.

Please any help?

Members don't see this ad.

I took aamc # 3 yesterday and got a 7 too. It's my lowest score right now...so frustrating.

But I am going to do EK 101 VR passages. I have been doing kaplan but I felt like their passage-mapping strategy ended up screwing me a little more.
But don't get discouraged! Keep on practicing...we can do it :)

Ok so I have done all the verbal reasoning tests in Kaplan and did 3 AAMC VR tests. My average percentage is around 50-60% (a score of about a 7). Am I the only one who really sucks at this? My MCAT test is in one week and I don't know what to do. Are the tests harder/longer than the real MCAT or what???? Because some of this stuff is just plain ridiculous, I have NEVER finished the whole test (always have 1-2 passages left), even when I try to read as fast as I could and cheat my way through (by skimming without actually understanding anything) to finish the whole test I still get bad marks.

Since most of you have taken the AAMC tests, how do my marks compare to yours? A 7, 7, 7 in the VR sections of tests 8, 9, and 10.

Please any help?

You guys need to not take the test soon. Getting an 8 or a 7 isn't going to work well. Kaplan is horrible for VR.

I would stick to EK and TPR, but really EK. You need to find out what it is you are doing wrong to correct it. It could take 3 or 4 months of diligent studying to correct. People have been saying they score LOWER on the real exam than on the practice tests because they are lengthening the passages a bit on the real deal. So if you are consistently getting a 7, don't take the exam. practice until you get 10-12 consistently, then take it.

I really don't want to postpone the test, I have to apply this year!!

Give me concrete advise please!

Members don't see this ad :)
Handsome, I am afraid there is no magic here. If you are scoring consistently low in the VR section, it is highly unlikely that you will jump 3-4 points in the real thing within a week or so.

If you are going to take the test anyway, then you need to sit with someone who can go over what you are doing wrong and see if you can work on a new strategy quickly. I am afraid there is no time to do i t alone...

the only advice i can give you is don't look back to the passage when you are answering questions.