Keeping in Touch with Adcoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mephisto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know what, guys, I am completely confused about what some of you guys are talking about. How do I keep in touch with the adcoms? I hear all the time that people are calling, writing letters, etc. I am planning on writing a letter of intent to one school and that's it. I updated my apps. But what more can I do? I hear of people calling the admissions people, but what do they talk about? If I call, all I'll hear is "you're being reviewed, be patient". If I make an appointment with a dean, what the heck can I ask or talk about? I have interviewed at 4 schools and I want to know what I can do to keep in touch with them. In passing, i've heard the advice "just keep hounding them" and "just keep the pressure on". But specifically, what can we do? what do i say? what do i write? I'm just so confused....any help would be greatly appreciated as I've looked around on SDN and heard you guys talk about this stuff, but never the specifics. All of your stories are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Mephisto said:
You know what, guys, I am completely confused about what some of you guys are talking about. How do I keep in touch with the adcoms? I hear all the time that people are calling, writing letters, etc. I am planning on writing a letter of intent to one school and that's it. I updated my apps. But what more can I do? I hear of people calling the admissions people, but what do they talk about? If I call, all I'll hear is "you're being reviewed, be patient". If I make an appointment with a dean, what the heck can I ask or talk about? I have interviewed at 4 schools and I want to know what I can do to keep in touch with them. In passing, i've heard the advice "just keep hounding them" and "just keep the pressure on". But specifically, what can we do? what do i say? what do i write? I'm just so confused....any help would be greatly appreciated as I've looked around on SDN and heard you guys talk about this stuff, but never the specifics. All of your stories are welcome! Thanks in advance!

The reason you don't get any specifics is because its different for each person, ie the reasons that you would want to talk to the dean. For some folks, its to explain something in their application. For others, its a chance to describe how much you love the school and can't wait to be there in the fall. Ultimately, people don't give specifics because they're competitive premeds that want to be sure they get in somewhere and don't want someone else using their 'unique' strategy.

Don't worry about this too much. IF you have the chance to talk to the dean, just make it clear that their school has much to offer and that you'd really like to be there. You might even explain some connection you have with the area/school so that it seems likely you would go there if offered a position. For many schools, its hard for them to decide on out of state people with no connection to an area because they reason that you don't have as much reason to want to be in an area that has 'nothing' for you. I don't think this SHOULD be a consideration, but sometimes it is and if you make it clear that you DO want to be there, it will often make a difference.

G'luck! :luck:

what is an adcom? Its a dean?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Do I just call and ask for a meeting? It just seems wholly inappropriate and pushy. But I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?

Mephisto said:
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Do I just call and ask for a meeting? It just seems wholly inappropriate and pushy. But I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?
Well, there are a couple things you can do.

1. When you call to schedule your interview, you can ask the person on the phone if you might also be able to schedule a meeting with the dean. If they ask you why, you can just tell them you have some specific questions for him. If they say no, then sorry, dude.

2. Some schools will send you the info for scheduling the interview and will indicate that if you would like to schedule time with the dean, you can e-mail them in advance and they will work it out for you.

3. You can try the walk-in-off-the-street approach and just see if you can stop in when you're there interviewing.

I have tried all of these approaches and was successful, but I don't know if they made a difference in the final decision or not. Just some stuff to try.

G'luck.